The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by holiam, Nov 26, 2008.

1. holiam

holiam Registered

Hi guys, please forgive me for the newbie question but I am hoping that someone will be able to help me in answering this question. I currently have 2 dedicated w2003 servers hosted in USA using the HELM control panel. 1 server acts as a primary DNS server and the other acts as the secondary etc so each new domain added to helm with ns1.server1.net and ns2.server2.net.

So.....

I am now in the process of moving to UK servers and now have 1 linux/cpanel and the other windows (with a view to moving fully over to linux in the future but hosting too many asp sites at the moment to do this now)

I now have the linux server set up with cpanel (within the last 24 hours) and I would like to understand the best way to set up the DNS?

Should i just go for 1 dns server? (is this possible?) or should I set up the linux box as my primary and my windows server and my secondary? If so, how?

Any and all advice very welcome. Also if there is good documentation on this then please point me in the right direction - i tried looking but didn't find anything that answered my question.

Thankyou in advance

Holiam.

2. apscinsspl

apscinsspl Well-Known Member

Hello,

Let me explain you how to setup name server on Linux/Cpanel.

First of all create zone of

ns1.server.com (assign servers dedicated ip or shared Ip of the sever)
    ns2.server.com (assign one dedicated IP)

Once this two zones created, change the Ip of the name servers at registrar end so that they point to this Linux /cpanel server.

Then go to WHM > BAsic WHM Setup

and specify the name servers ns1 and ns2 in the name server field and save.

You are done.

Now what will happen doing this ?
    ========================================

1) All the accounts created on this server will use ns1 and ns2.
    2) You can use this server dns server for any domain whose DNS zone can be copied to this server.

=========================================

Now you are saying that your one server will be converted to this Linux/Cpanel server, so the domains on it will be working fine, now the issue is of the remaining windows server. For this you can only do one thing to use linux server as DNS server. You have to add the zones of the windows domain on the linux server manually so that the domains on windows will resolve using the linux server as DNS server.

3. holiam

holiam Registered

Thanks for your detailed response. Just to give you a little more background so I'm absolutely clear on what you are suggesting.

I use enom for domain registration and setting up of nameservers.

My two new UK servers (1 unix and 1 windows) have 16 IP's each, although my dedicated company only want to give me 1 ip per server unless I can provide justification for more?!?

So, two servers with 1 ip each.

Now assuming I own domain www.domain.com and I now want to set up nameservers ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

Let's assume server 1 is windows with ip 1.1.1.1 and server 2 is unix with ip 1.1.1.2

Can you tell me what I set my name server to be based on your response?
    so ns1.domain.com = and ns2.domain.com =

Sorry for the baby steps, I want to be absolutely clear I understand the best way forward here

Regards,
    Holiam

4. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

It will automatically assign the free IP addresses of your server when you select "assign A record entry" from basic Cpanel/whm setup for both of your ns1 and ns2 nameservers.

5. apscinsspl

apscinsspl Well-Known Member

I have replied to your PM , please check