Setting up email properly issue

Rel82me

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi everyone, I'm pretty sure this has been answered some place and I'm probably missing something pretty obvious. However, I can't seem to setup a pop/smtp client to send and receive through cpanel. I appear to have the correct mx record setting in place at - Removed - and confirmed here:

mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @Rel82me,

Can you verify any specific error messages appear in your email client when attempting to send or receive email?

Thank you.

Rel82me

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
btw - its a new install cPanel. I can't seem to ping mail.example.com, but do have the proper dns records in place and have changed whm settings to "local mail exchanger".

Anupam SG

Aug 29, 2018
Earth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Which port are you using for SMTP? If you are not able to ping it could be a firewall block. A lot of webhosts(specially Digital Ocean, Vultr) block SMTP ports[25, 465, 587] to avoid originating spam from their servers. You can change the default SMTP port to something other than default ones and give it a try. You will need to change to the new port in Thunderbird too. Alternatively, you can contact your webhosting support and ask them to open these ports for your account.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
btw - its a new install cPanel. I can't seem to ping mail.example.com, but do have the proper dns records in place and have changed whm settings to "local mail exchanger".
Hello @Rel82me,

Can you verify your name servers were properly configured and assigned to the domain name? You can use a website such as IntoDNS.com to check. We document how to setup name servers if you want to make sure you performed the correct steps:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Rel82me

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Which port are you using for SMTP? If you are not able to ping it could be a firewall block. A lot of webhosts(specially Digital Ocean, Vultr) block SMTP ports[25, 465, 587] to avoid originating spam from their servers. You can change the default SMTP port to something other than default ones and give it a try. You will need to change to the new port in Thunderbird too. Alternatively, you can contact your webhosting support and ask them to open these ports for your account.
I have both SMTP ports 25 and 26 open. That's really strange as I just did an nslookup on mail.removed.tld and received a non-authorative response with the ip address. Can you guy's have a peek at the records associated with this domain name "removed.tld". I'm pretty sure all the necessary records are in place.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I have both SMTP ports 25 and 26 open. That's really strange as I just did an nslookup on mail.removed.tld and received a non-authorative response with the ip address. Can you guy's have a peek at the records associated with this domain name "removed.tld". I'm pretty sure all the necessary records are in place.
Hi @Rel82me,

We'll need you to open a support ticket if you'd like us to take a look at a specific domain name on your server. You can post the ticket number here and we'll link this thread to the ticket.

Thank you.