Jun 5, 2017
Cape Town
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey y'all. Using cPanel happened as of this morning for me, and I could use a bit of guidance. I've loaded a test site into home/user/test. 1) how do I open the actual files in a front end view to test the site. I can only see where I can open the html file. 2) Where do I allocate the test site a url, or if a url is automatically allocated, where do I pick it up?

I realise both questions are linked. I'm a digital marketer with html experience by trade, not a techie, but sometimes we have to do... Any assistance would be appreciated.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi, not really - I didn't load in public_html, because there's an existing site I need to leave up until the new one is beta tested
I loaded the new one as home/user/test - not in the public_html directory
You'll need to move /test/, into /public_html/ for it to be viewable in your browser. So:
home/username/public_html/test/

Also you might change the directory named Test, to test. No need for caps on directory names.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
You didn't mention the subdomain being created in your original post. You can create a Subdomain outside the public_html.

You might want to remove it, and then recreate from: cPanel > Domains > Subdomains, without the upper case T in Testing though.

Once you've properly recreated the sub.domain, and made sure it works at testing.example.com then:
testing.example.com is the same as:
home/username/public_html/testing/

Going by your screenshot:
home/username/public_html/testing/test/