Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Setting up FTP accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hennesseystealth, Jun 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am not an IT person but am moving from Plesk to cPanel on a new server. I need to have one employee have access to FTP on a subdomain, but can't seem to get the settings correct. Let's use this as an example: subdomain.domain.com.

cPanel asked me for a log in, password, and directory. Per my example, I entered username, password, and then selected subdomain.domain.com. That autofilled the directory as:

/home/domain/public_html/subdomain.domain.com/username, where the username has been appended with @subdomain.domain.com.

However, when I use that information in FTP Voyager, it just shows me a file called ".ftpquota" and says unable to change folder to /home/domain/public_html/subdomain.domain.com/username.

Any ideas?

2. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

UPDATE: I also created another account where I just selected domain.com and got the same results.

3. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you create the FTP account in cPanel, you will see that the Directory line has automatically appended the FTP username.

This creates a new empty folder (except for the .ftpquta file) which is what you are seeing when you connect.

You would need to delete the existing account, and re-add it and change the Directory from
    Code:
    /home/domain/public_html/subdomain.domain.com/username
    to
    Code:
    /home/domain/public_html/subdomain.domain.com
    This should now display the subdomain files when you connect by FTP - AND you will see a new .ftpquota file amongst them

More information from FTP Accounts - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 rpvw, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  4. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Unfortunately, after doing exactly what you said above, I am still only seeing the .ftpquota file. Under the subdomain, I should see a series of folders for each of our products or projects. I'll read through the documentation and see if I am missing something. Thanks.

5. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Threw in the towel and just created an account pointed to public_html. Using that same technique and pointing to a subdirectory or subdomain would never work for me. No idea why, but wasn't worth more work to figure out.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @hennesseystealth,

In cPanel >> FTP Accounts, what appeared under "Paths"?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    /home/XXX

where XXX is the domain less the .com

That is what works. Adding anything after that is where I was having problems. Even though it isn't in the path, in order to get the FTP client to work, you say the default directory is public_html.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @hennesseystealth,

I'm unable to reproduce this on a test system using the following steps:

1. Create a new addon domain name using the following settings in cPanel >> Addon Domains:

Domain: test.domain.tld
    Subdomain: test
    Document Root (Auto-filled): public_html/test.domain.tld
    Create an FTP account associated with this Addon Domain: Checked
    FTP Username: test

2. Browsed to cPanel >> FTP Accounts and noticed it was created correctly:

Username: test@test.domain.tld
    Path: /home/username/public_html/test.domain.tld

3. Created a test file (123.html) in the /home/username/public_html/test.domain.tld/ directory.

4. Logged in via FTP as "test@test.domain.tld" with the password for that account and confirmed it loaded the correct directory contents (123.html was listed).

Is it possible this relates to a setting in your FTP client?

Thank you.

9. hennesseystealth

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I guess anything is possible but it didn't work with FTP Voyager or Filezilla. We also had issues using the domain Alias function. In the end, that was an issue with something the hosting company messed up and when they fixed that, Alias worked. Maybe the same with FTP but since we have something that works, it seemed like a waste of resources to pursue. Thanks.