Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Setting up hostname instead of IP address?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Najd, Jun 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Najd

Najd Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello

I am kind of new to this VPS thing and i got a server , set it up but i have some problems , onee of my problems is when i open whm i get my explorer to show me up in the address an ip like this xxx.xxx.xx.xx:2087 i understand that but i need to change that , i need to show my domain name instead of this ip for example server1.myserver.com and then again i have another problem which is https , its showing me that this ip is not secure ,how can i solve that ? do i simply install an ssl on this domain myserver.com or do i need an ssl for the server1.myserver.com ?

Thanks in advance

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Najd,

A free and signed SSL certificate for your server's hostname should be applied automatically within a few hours after the initial cPanel installation. You can read more about how this works, and see the full requirements, at:

Free cPanel-signed certificate

Keep in mind you will need to access Web Host Manager using the following link format:

Code:
    https://hostname:2087
    If you enter the IP address in your browser's address bar, a SSL warning will appear because SSL certificates are installed on domain names as opposed to IP addresses.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Najd

Najd Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi and thanks for your reply . Actually the ssl was not applied automatically .

I am using Godaddy VPS Server and i will list what i did exactly :

- in WHM i gave the hostname a name using one of my domains (server.example.com) and this domain got an A record pointing to this server and ns name to godaddy .
    - bought an SSL and genereated the SSL for the server.example.com and applied it .

The problem is when i open any cpanel for my domains or my server i get : https://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:2083/cpsess5505326534/frontend/paper_lantern/index.html?login=1&post_login=1547212316557

and when i open the main server panel

https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2087/cpsess4004448608/?login=1&post_login=53062948132568

What i am tring to do is stop having SSL warning for this ip and if possible mask this ip with the hostname , i mean if my server is server.example.com why isnt it showing https://server.example.com:2087/cpsess4004448608/?login=1&post_login=53062948132568 ?

Thanks for your patience .

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Najd,

GoDaddy blocks the free AutoSSL certificate for the server's hostname. You can confirm this is the case by running the following command:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/checkallsslcerts
    The output is likely to look like this:

You can find discussion of this, including a manual workaround, at:

SOLVED - cPanel certificates self-signed?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Najd

Najd Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelMichael

the output of that code "
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/checkallsslcerts"

on my ssh was

Code:
    The system will check for the certificate for the “cpanel” service.

The system will attempt to verify that the certificate for the “cpanel” service is still valid using OCSP (Online Certificate Status Protocol).

The certificate for the “cpanel” service passed all checks.

The system will check for the certificate for the “dovecot” service.

The system will attempt to verify that the certificate for the “dovecot” service is still valid using OCSP (Online Certificate Status Protocol).

The certificate for the “dovecot” service passed all checks.

The system will check for the certificate for the “exim” service.

The system will attempt to verify that the certificate for the “exim” service is still valid using OCSP (Online Certificate Status Protocol).

The certificate for the “exim” service passed all checks.

The system will check for the certificate for the “ftp” service.

The system will attempt to verify that the certificate for the “ftp” service is still valid using OCSP (Online Certificate Status Protocol).

The certificate for the “ftp” service passed all checks.

and i tried to follow that discussion where it said that they added an auto ssl to a subdomain .. how is that possible ? autossl can only see domains and not subdomains .

#5 Najd, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2018
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Najd,

I recommend reaching out to your VPS hosting provider directly to verify that free hostname SSL certificates are not allowed on your VPS. They will be able to provide you with a more accurate answer.

AutoSSL certificates are available to both subdomains and normal domain names. For instance, you could create a subdomain under a cPanel account (e.g. server123.domain.tld). Ensure this subdomain does not match the hostname of your server as that can lead to configuration issues, and ensure it's not a proxy subdomain (e.g. cpanel.domain.tld, whm.domain.tld). Once the subdomain is added, browse to WHM >> Manage AutoSSL and click on Run AutoSSL for All Users. The system will then attempt to generate a new AutoSSL certificate for the subdomain (it can sometimes take a few hours for the domain validation process to succeed). Once that happens, you can browse to WHM Home » Service Configuration » Manage Service SSL Certificates and install the certificate from that subdomain using the Browse Certificates >> Browse Apache option at the bottom of the interface.

Thank you.