The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up mail to send thru clients ip

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by rts2271, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rts2271

rts2271 Member

Why is this so broken? Checked these, set up the files as per instructions. Doesn't work. restarted exim, rebuit, upcp the whole nine yards.

I get a error : unable to bind outgoing SMTP call to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX if there is anything in /etc/mailips

Changed version to edge, the system rebuilt the mailhelo and mailips automatically, still didnt work. updated and it and it deleted the files and refused to rebuild the mailips and mailhelo file.

This is absolutely frustrating. Almost enough to look into Plesk as qmail is exponentially more reliable.

Send HELO based on the domain name in /etc/mailhelo (*: HELONAME can be added to the file to change the default helo name) [?] Broken

Send outgoing mail from the ip that matches the domain name in /etc/mailips (*: IP can be added to the file to change the main outgoing interface) [?] Broken

2. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

I wouldn't agree about qmail as I detest qmail (great discussion here why exim is the best choice for most people), but regardless rather than giving up, why not just open up a technical ticket to have cPanel check into it? WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel

I did find an online discussion about this same error, indicating the issue being due to the wrong IP listed in httpd.conf for the domain:

http://www.whmhelp.com/2009/10/cpan...nable-bind-outgoing-smtp-call-2031042235.html

Without having the specifics, it's far harder for us to troubleshoot on the forum. I think the best course of action would be to open a ticket so you can have someone review the actual settings.

3. rts2271

rts2271 Member

I did open a ticket :(

I think they are more baffled then me.

Let me ask this. Is there a way to autobuild the mailips and mailhelo file? It zeroed me out before I remembered to back it up and I have far to many domains on the server to do a manual rebuild.

4. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

They should automatically build if you uncheck the other two options and select this one:

Automatically send outgoing mail from the account's IP address instead of the main IP address. Warning: If you turn this setting on you should make sure reverse DNS entries match the ones in /etc/mail_reverse_dns.

Now, I say should as sometimes I haven't had it automatically build and sometimes it does and I'm never entirely certain how to get it to process the files to build them (what command). Hopefully, someone else does have an idea what builds those files for a script to run.