The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up mirror server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eville, Jul 2, 2006.

1. eville

eville Member

Hi all

I am trying to set up a mirror'd server. I have my own cpanel server running and i have also set up and account with a 3rd party hosting provider.

I restored all the backups with success on the 3rd party server.

Now this what i thought I had to do:

set up the primary name servers to point to my server and the secondary name servers to point to the 3rd party server.

This however did not work. What ended up happening is when i set up the secondary name servers all the domains ended up pointing to the 3rd party server.

I am using everydns for my own server.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to set up a second server as a emergency server in case the 1st one goes down? A setup that will allow an automatic transfer of the domains from one server to another?

2. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe you would have to us an external DNS provider with site testing and Failover servcie. What they do is test to see if the site is up. If it is not, then they swutch the destination to the backup server. DNS Made Eay provides this kind of service. Check them out. (and no I am not affiliated with them)

3. eville

eville Member

I am using an external DNS provider right now; everydns.net.

DNS Made Easy is very expensive. We have over 60 domains to mirror. Is this the only solution possible? There must be some other solution. After performing a google search I discovered that there is not many companies offering fail safe services. This most mean that there is other methods out there.

Is it possible to set up some sort of A or MX record that will do this? Or maybe some sort of DNS zone transfer (axfr)? Please excuse me if my ideas are poor as I am very new to DNS administration.

#3 eville, Jul 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  4. big

big Well-Known Member

domaindns.com is free and supports 100 domains per account

but i dont think it will sync automatically with everydns

5. eville

eville Member

well I know that everydns supports dynamic DNS. Maybe there is some sort of a script that could be run on the 2nd server to monitor the 1st server's IP address. It would then send a request to everydns via their dynamicDNS feature to change the ip address for the name servers.

The code for changing the A record for everydns is located here: http://www.everydns.net/eDNS.pl.txt In theory it looks like i would just have to change the part of the code that monitors an IP for change to a script that monitors an ip for downtime and then submits a request for the set ip of the second server.

#5 eville, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  6. eville

eville Member

i dont understand, domaindns seems to have the same sort of service as everydns

7. eville

eville Member

ideas?

Does anyone have any ideas? Any would be very helpfull ;)