The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Up MX In offsite domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antec, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Antec

Antec Registered

Hello everyone, I'm kinda new to this. I have used cpanel before but as a customer never an owner so bare with my nooby questions lol. The issue I am having is I just had cpanel installed on my centos 5 box and im trying to set everything up but im worried about my main mx and A enteries.

Here is the thing, I have a domain registered with a domain company but i want to have everything forwarded to my new cpanel installation. I want all the emails and sub-domains pointing to my box. I have already setup the nameservers and ips but im not sure what to do with the A-records or mx entries. I plan on having several different accounts hosted under sub-domains of my single domain (if you get what i'm saying) so im not sure what to change or leave as is. I have already sent a test email but i never recieved it in my cpanel account.

Any ideas on how to go about setting this up or is just creating nameservers with my domain registar good enough?

***UPDATE***

I ran nslookup on my server for my domain and this is what shows up:

caclans.com
    Server: 127.0.0.1
    Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    caclans.com mail exchanger = 0 caclans.com.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
    caclans.com nameserver = ns2.caclans.com.
    caclans.com nameserver = ns1.caclans.com.
    caclans.com internet address = 64.186.128.233
    ns1.caclans.com internet address = 64.186.128.233
    ns2.caclans.com internet address = 64.186.128.106

#1 Antec, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. chinmay

chinmay Well-Known Member

Hi there,

You will need to ask the domain registrar to register the Name servers that are setup on your server so that the domain resolves from your server and the mails too.

Now regarding the Name servers, you will need to register the Name servers (which you have setup) and point them to the server IP's. To register the Name servers you will need to contact the domain registrar. For example, if you have setup the Name servers ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com you will need to contact the domain.com's domain registrar and ask them to register the Name servers.

Once the Name servers are registered and updated for the domain on the server, it will take few hours for the Name servers to propagate worldwide. The A, MX record will work from your server once the Name servers are propagated.

Hope this info helps ;)
    Do post here if if you have any queries..

3. Antec

Antec Registered

I already created the ns for my domain and set it up in whm setup. so once they are setup and i changed the ns on my domain to point to the ones i just created i should be fine for everything?

Example:

mydomain.com
    Created ns:
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com
    setup to point them to my server's two ips

Then changed the ns for my domain to point to the new ns
    so:
    mydomain.com was pointed to ns1.myregister.com
    now:
    mydomain.com --> ns1.mydomain.com

not sure if im doing this right lol

4. Antec

Antec Registered

I already created the ns for my domain and set it up in whm setup. so once they are setup and i changed the ns on my domain to point to the ones i just created i should be fine for everything?

Example:

mydomain.com
    Created ns:
    ns1.mydomain.com
    ns2.mydomain.com
    setup to point them to my server's two ips

Then changed the ns for my domain to point to the new ns
    so:
    mydomain.com was pointed to ns1.myregister.com
    now:
    mydomain.com --> ns1.mydomain.com

not sure if im doing this right lol

5. PlatinumServerM

PlatinumServerM Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First setup nameservers on your server, then all you have to do is point the domain to your server's nameservers. The MX/A/CNAME records are automatically created for www, ftp, and email.

You only have to change those records manually if you are pointing them to somewhere outside your server.