The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up my first SSL on a new server

Discussion in 'Security' started by iToke, Jan 25, 2011.

1. iToke

iToke Active Member

Hi guys,
    I have the task of setting up an SSL folder on a new dedicated server using WHM.
    Never done this before and not even sure where to start or what is involved! Do I use WMH or the websites cPanel access?
    My goal is to have a login.php page loaded via https

Am really quite nervous about the whole process so if someone could point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful!

Many thanks

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Can you please clarify your request? Do you wants to load WHM with https?

3. iToke

iToke Active Member

thanks for the reply.
    No, I want a website that's hosted on a dedicated server (that I manage via WHM) to have their login.php page loaded via https.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

First, the site in question must have a dedicated IP for an SSL to be installed onto that user's domain. If you do not have a dedicated IP for the account, you will want to obtain a dedicated IP first.

Next, if you haven't gotten the CSR (certificate signing request) generated, then you would do the following:

1. Log into WHM
    2. Go to SSL/TLS > Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request
    3. Fill out the information, copy and save the CSR and RSA keys. You will need the CSR to purchase the certificate. You will need the RSA key if something happens that the key doesn't match the new certificate later on.

After generating the CSR, pick an SSL provider and follow their ordering process. The CSR would need to be provided to that SSL vendor. Please ensure to either select cPanel or ApacheModSSL during the SSL request process.

After you receive the SSL certificate (.crt file), you would do the following:

1. Log into WHM.
    2. Go to SSL/TLS > Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain
    3. Paste the purchased certificate (.crt file) that the SSL provider sent to you into the topmost box, then tab to the next box.
    4. The other fields should auto populate. After they do, click the "Submit" button at the top of that area.
    5. If everything is successful, you'll receive a success message after a few moments indicating the new domain has an SSL installed on it.

5. iToke

iToke Active Member

thanks for the reply. We are on a dedicated IP. Will give it a go. thanks again