The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up MySQL users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jkrusick, Mar 23, 2004.

1. jkrusick

jkrusick Member

I think this is a point of confusion when using cpanel and the MySQL group. The menu items allow you to set up a new user, name and passwords, what databases they can access, etc. and implies all privileges have been setup. This is allowed once you've gotten into the cpanel with the correct name and password. No problems there. However, if your host has done a number on you and hasn't set you up as a "superuser", the passwords set up in CPanel will only let you logon, but the implied permissions/grants have not been setup and you must do that thru the MYSQLAdmin menu shown at the bottom of the page. I think these assumptions are correct, but where I have a problem is when I go into the CPanel MySQLAdmin, how does it know that I'm the superuser and can grant privileges and grants?

2. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

In phpmyadmin, you login with your account name and password from cPanel. That gives you all priveleges.

If I didn't answer your question, sorry it was very confusing.

3. jkrusick

jkrusick Member

Hi: Getting close to being on the right track. The problem is I'm seeing is where do I logon using the Cpanel name and Password? There's no item that I can see that will allow me to do it, except from the initial logon. In fact the MySQLAdmin doesn't even show an item for users at all, but I assumed that was normal until at least one user was installed.
    Sorry about the confusion in my original post - I had assumed that the initial privileges had to be setup by the IP. The cpanel is Build 9.1.0-stable #93.

4. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

phpmyadmin (I don't think there's a mysqladmin) will login with your account username and pass, taken from your cpanel login. Therefore you will always have full access.

The users that you create in cpanel are to be entered in php scripts so that they have limited access. They aren't meant to be entered when logging in to phpmyadmin

5. jkrusick

jkrusick Member

Got the scripts working and figured out the main problem was the "Load from File" isn't liked by the privileges. Quit trying to use it, and wrote a simple php script and the data was accepted.

I think, when defining users/databases in cPanel, it becomes a simple operation once you understand it. However, one mystery still exists and that is 1) when you build up a new user in the cPanel it "grants" the user "All" privileges. The cPanel I'm using is Build 9.1.0-stable #93 and doesn't have an editor where I can, for example: "ungrant" privileges like "Empty", "Drop", and "Alter" tables. I guess this will require experimenting with php to see how I can implement this reduction in Grants. Any ideas??

#5 jkrusick, Mar 23, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2004