The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up nameservers offsite

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Birdman27, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Birdman27

Birdman27 Registered

Hello,
    I have been pulling my hair out trying to set up offsite name servers for my resellers. I have name servers working fine for my site but want my resellers to be on name servers of a different name, note my primary domain name. My DNS has my primary hosting server and 3 separate offsite DNS-Only servers. What I want to do is under a seperate domain name run DNS for my resellers off 2 of my 3 dns-only servers and keep them away from my primary DNS.

I have created Zone files ns1.domain ns2.domain ns3.domain zone files just as CPanel has done for my primary domain. It appears to be working, however customers registrars are saying these are not valid name servers. I have verified with Enom the registration of them and all appears well.

In the end as time goes on I want my hosting to be using its own domain and personal name servers and my customers to all be on a seperate domain for name servers and possibly seperate physical name servers.

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. I have found pleanty of info online about setting up private name servers but none for private name servers off site.

Kevin

2. yayyo

yayyo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Kevin and welcome to the cPanel forums :)

It's a long time since I last did this and things may have changed, but with wildwest domains (GoDaddy subsidiary) I needed to go the the domain control panel at wildwest and "register" ns1.example.com ns2.example.com as nameservers. There was no charge for this.

I hope that points you in a possible direction, though baldness can be an asset ;)

If not, I'm sure somebody will be along with the right answer shortly :)

HTH
    Marty

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So you are saying the domain, say domain1.com has both ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com setup? Do you also have NS records for it on the domain you have? If you whois domain1.com do those show up as the nameservers?

In theory it sounds like you are correct but it must be something small. Can you post the domain here? If you want to PM it I can take a quick look at it and see if it seems to be setup correctly.