Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Setting Up Nameservers Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by webmasteryoda, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. webmasteryoda

webmasteryoda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello. This is really a good post. [Tutorial] Nameserver configuration on cPanel servers
    But I have a question and forgive me if its too noobish to ask it here. :)

I am registering almost all of my domains at Orion Telekom (Serbia). And I am self-hosting at Contabo (Germany) on my own cPanel VPS.

Guys at Orion Telekom gave me access to cPanel account with parked domains interface and dns zones editor.

So, when I register a new domain, I park it and than edit the A record through zones editor to point the domain to my VPS.

My question is:
    What is the best practice for me to setup nameserver software and IP addresses on my VPS?
    Which nameservers do I insert while initial setup of my WHM? Orion Telekom or Contabo nameservers? Or is it preferable for me to even disable nameservers software on my VPS?

One more thing. Some of my clients are using DKIM/SPF authentication to correctly send their emails.

I read about that it can degrade servers/websites performance if WHM nameservers are not correctly set.

So, what are the best practices for me?

#1 webmasteryoda, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I recommend setting up name servers on your VPS and then configuring the name servers at the domain registrar to use the IP addresses from your VPS using the instructions at:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

This will ensure your VPS can host DNS for your domain names.

Thank you.

3. webmasteryoda

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Michael

But I still dont understand. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are suggesting me to define my own nameservers on Basic WebHost Manager Setup?

My hosting provider (Contabo) already finished initial setup wizard and setup theirs nameservers (ns1.contabo.net, ns2.contabo.net and ns3.contabo.net).

I previously used my domain registrars nameservers (dns1.orion.rs, dns2.orion.rs, dns3.orion.rs, dns4.orion.rs).

So, if I understand correctly what you are saying, you are suggesting me to define totally different name servers (example: ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com, ns3.mydomain.com, ns4.mydomain.com)? And to register those nameservers at my domain registrars nameservers?

PS1 - I have full control over advanced DNS zone editor at my domains registrar.
    PS2 - I have only one IP address and it is the shared IP address of the server.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's not required, but it would make management of the DNS an easier task if you are hosting multiple domain names. Otherwise, each time you make a DNS change on the cPanel server (e.g. adding subdomains, enabling SPF/DKIM, changing MX records), you then have to go to your DNS provider and manually add those entries there as well. If the cPanel server managed the DNS, then it would save you that added step.

As far as IP addresses, it's acceptable to create two name servers with the same IP address.

Thank you.

5. webmasteryoda

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you Michael.

Yes, its a shared server with more than 80 domains.
    And almost all domains are registered at Orion Telekom (my domains registrar provider).

All of the accounts on my VPS are created with Orion Telekom nameservers.
    So if I now change this setting to the local nameserver,
    is that a problem for the old accounts, or maybe for the newly created?
    (Or I dont need to think about it at all?)

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You'd have to update the name servers for each domain name at the domain registrar to use the newly created name servers. Additionally, you'd want to change the local name servers configured in each existing DNS zone using the instructions on a thread like this:

Bulk DNS Zone Update

Thank you.

7. webmasteryoda

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I understand.

But if I dont change the existing DNS zones, does all accounts keep running without problems?
    Is it possible for some domains to use Orion Telekom nameservers, and other (newly created) to run local nameservers without any problems?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you change the name servers at the registrar to name servers with different IP addresses, and leave the DNS Zones with old name servers, then you may encounter some propagation issues.

Yes, this is acceptable.

Thank you.

webmasteryoda likes this.
  9. webmasteryoda

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. All clear.

cPanelMichael likes this.