The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up password access to web site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by novice, Jul 1, 2004.

1. novice

novice Registered

Jul 1, 2004
    Can someone advise me of the steps to enable password access to a secured part of a web site. In this instance I wish to create a 'members only' logon withing an otherswise publicly viewable site.

A step by step response would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. christi1

christi1 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Texas, USA
    1. Login to the Cpanel for your domain.

2. In the right hand colum, under the heading 'Site Management', click on 'Web Protect'.

3. Click on the name of the folder you want to password protect (not the folder icon, but the name itself)

4. Check "Directory requires a password to access via the web"

5. For "Protected Resource Name (will display in browser's password mask):" enter something to the effect of "Member's Area". (can be whatever you like)

6. Click the save button.

To add users to your new member's area, follow steps 1-3 above, then do th following:

1. Under 'Active Users' enter a username and password for your new member and click the 'Add/modify authorized user' button.

To change a user's password, follow steps 1-3 above, then do the following:

1. Under 'Active Users' select the username for which you want to cahnge the password.

2. Enter the new password in the password field and click the 'Change Password' button.

To remove users from your member's area, follow steps 1-3 above, then do the following:

1. Under "Active Users', click the username you want to remove from access and click the 'Delete User' button.

Once you get going and you have quite a few members, there are several pre-written script you can find at script repositories, such as HotScripts . I would definitely practice on learning how to do it manually until you're comfortable with it before moving to an automated script. There's no substitute for knowledge.

Hope this helps.