The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up reseller restrictions......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by I-Web, Oct 21, 2003.

1. I-Web

I-Web Well-Known Member

How do i setup my reseller accounts with limited FTP accounts, addon domains, parked domains etc...???

So that they can then share those out for there alotted bandwidth and hard disk space???

2. I-Web

I-Web Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: :confused:

Anyone???

3. cass

cass Well-Known Member

You can't limit such things ...

If you assign them XX BANDWIDTH and XX SPACE that is what they get.
    They could use unlimited domains, unlimited FTP's, unlimited MySQL, etc.

Or you need to limit then on a PLAN BY PLAN basis. (so, create the plans for them with X amount of things on each plan)

Regards.

4. I-Web

I-Web Well-Known Member

In which case, maybe this could be a feature enhancement??? the coding is already built within cPanel so i think it would be easy enough to implement????

What do others think on that side of things???

5. cass

cass Well-Known Member

Well... no coding is done of what you mean...

there is no such things as max domains or ftp or mysql or whatever for resellers coded (afaik)

It's only on a user level, but reseller is just a user too... with access to whm ...
    anyway ... this would be a feature enchancement or something like ...
    but If I have to tell you... you could wait a year for this to be added, just like other features (Except that dunno, maybe 2000 people submit the same request or so) :)

Regards.

6. I-Web

I-Web Well-Known Member

lol...

I meant the coding was already there..... in cPanel accounts, so it should be migratable........

Hmmmm but like you say, unless everyone would make use of this advantage, then it may be a long time coming.....

So the question is.... Would anyone else like this sort of feature built in as an option for the reseller panel?

7. cass

cass Well-Known Member

Well, I would maybe like this too...
    but I think I have things in mind before this :P

For example...
    On Reseller Accounts based on SPACE & BANDWIDTH (I think this is what most of us use)

I would like to have options for:
    1) limiting amount of users they can have (accounts) non depending on plans, etc.
    2) yes, limiting add-on domains will help follow rule (1)
    3) and/or limiting the amount (max/min) of space or bandwidth that can be assigned to each account.

that would prevent that if you give 1Gb / 10Gb reseller account for example ...
    you dont end with 1000 accounts of 1Mb and 10Mb of bandwidth each ... (get the idea?)

You need to think in what things limit your resources, so that in some way you need to restrict, limit of control on your accounts. (ie. if a user uses 50% of CPU with mysql... is eating resources ... a way of control this would HELP A LOT too) ... you know... a way of limiting how much cpu each user could use with mysql or php, or something like ... I think this is very important, so a user can't kill your server with their forums, it have to have a way you could make that user not use more than 20% cpu (for example) with this... on a per user basis ...
    maybe off topic here... lol... but well

8. cyon

cyon Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

very interesting thread!
    I am very interested too in some additional features to limit things for my resellers.

I would like to give my resellers the freedom of creating their own packages but need to restrict the amount of mysql databases, addon domains and so on.

if there are some others which would like such new features it would be great if they post that here.
    if this thread gets longer and longer cpanel staff can't ignore it :)