The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up resellers - best practices?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rasncain, May 24, 2003.

1. rasncain

rasncain Member

Anyone care to share your typical reseller settings? Just got a dedicated a few days ago, and playing around with setting up resellers in WHM. Not as easy as I thought actually, in fact from what I have been reading I think I am doing it wrong.

I created packages for <root> that were suppose to be reseller packages, in other words if my reseller was suppose to have 3000MB of disk space and 30000MB of bandwidth, then I would create a package for that, assign everything else unlimited and save it.

Then I create a new account like I typically would, but I would choose a reseller package and assign it. Then go to reseller center and "add reseller privileges" for that account.

Is this right so far? I just don't know.. I have seen too many posts contradicting each other, and no simple "How To".

If it is right, well when I edit the reseller permissions, I am just not sure what is the typical "best practice" for assigning to a reseller. Would like to hear from others in regards to this.

Thanks

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

We setup the reseller with a fake domain name. We set them up with a reseller package, about 10mb and a little B/W. We then give them reseller privs and set their permissions (space, bw, shell or not, etc).
    Then they setup their real domain and it goes toward their quota.

3. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

I personally, set up a normal hosting account, give it reseller, then make the reseller own his own account. The only trouble is if her termanates his own account, he termanates his resellers one to!

4. techark

techark Well-Known Member

I have done it both ways the problem with creating a fake domain is then if the reseller suspends an account they do not get a suspend page but instead a DNS error page. Because the .htaccess redirect tries to go to the fake domains suspend.page directory and since it is a fake domain it don't work.

So now we create the reseller account using the real domain and give them reseller privileges.

Here is a step by step of the way I do it others may do it different.

1 Free an IP.
    2 Create account (I use their real domain here) all I put in is domain user name and password everything else I leave unlimited.
    3. Go to reseller center give the user reseller rights.
    4. Go to the Edit Nameservers and privileges link set the click the limit space and bandwidth box and set the amount of space and bandwidth they can sell IE: 3000 meg and 30000 meg
    then give the privileges I want them to have and enter the name servers in the text boxes.
    5 Click on Change ownership and give them ownership of their account.
    6 Go to Edit DNS zone and enter their name servers add the A records for NS1 and NS2
    7 Close browser to log out of WHM
    8 log back into WHM using their user name and password.
    9 create a package in their WHM normally 100 meg and 1 gig call it basic.
    10 Go to upgrade downgrade account and select their account, it should be the only one you see since this is their WHM and they only own the account you just created for them. I set it on the basic package I just created and that takes the space and bandwidth from their reseller limits.
    11. Send letter that notes to not delete their domain but that they can change it anyway they want as it is their reseller account and also that I have created one basic package to help them get started.

5. christi1

christi1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, techark.

Those instructions were all I needed... easy to follow, right to the point.