The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up server help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ob1, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ob1

ob1 Registered

Jul 26, 2007
    anyone available to help clue me in on my server. created account, uploaded data, changed dns but to no avail site still not working, however, the first two i did had no problems.
  2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2003
    New York
    When you say "server" do you mean you are setting up a whole WHM/Cpanel server from scratch or do you mean setting up your website on an existing server?. Sounds like you are just having trouble setting up an account, which is something your web host or ISP should help you with.
  3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2004
    inside a catfish
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is there any chance that the nameservers you are using for your local connection are caching old DNS information (or your computer itself is caching old dns information). Without knowing really anything about your configuration and what you've done to try to get it to work, let me suggest the following:

If you are running Windows...
    - close all web browsers
    - go to START / RUN - type in CMD and hit enter
    - type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and hit enter
    - type 'nslookup'
    - verify that it indeed returns the ip address of your new website

Just figured you should make sure it is not a caching problem on your end.

If nslookup does not return the new IP after following the sequence of tasks I mentioned above, then your upstream ISP's nameservers are probably caching old DNS information. In that case, you can test to see if its working by doing this:

telnet 80 and then hit enter
    type: GET HTTP/1.0 and then hit enter twice
    - then you can see if you're seeing the HTMl for your site

There are other things you can do also if its simply a dns propogation issue.

But rule out cached old dns data first.