The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up shared folders for IMAP

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Ramzes7791, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Ramzes7791

Ramzes7791 Registered

Hello,

We run Currier under CPanel 11.18.3-RELEASE 21703, and have access to WebHost Manager and VPS (Virtuozzo)

Recently we have started to use IMAP for some of the accounts, and I have no clue as to how to set it up properly. Right now, several people just use the same account info, so if it's marked read it's marked like that for all.

I would like to do this folder (with a lot of subfolders) to be accessible under their login, so, from what I understood there are several ways to do it, but can not find Guide informative enough for me...
    So, the only indication I found:
    and there's also more complex way in the same document, but it seems to be presentation, without any details, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out or send a link to some guide online.

Thanks a lot!

2. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just had a customer ask me if we support shared folders in IMAP as well. Am interested if you ever got this working?

- Scott

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A couple years ago I investigated using the IMAP Shared Folder feature. The Courier implementation seemed overly complex and performance intensive. For example the entire list of shared folders (not the actual messages just a list of folder names) would be downloaded by every email client that logged in.

Setting up shared folders involved modifying one or more files and it was easy to get it wrong. Some email clients also don't seem to support the feature well.

I wonder if Dovecot makes it any easier?

4. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

While I don't know for Dovecot on whether it's less intensive, the Dovecot wiki discusses three ways to share mailboxes at this location:

SharedMailboxes - Dovecot Wiki

Which specific one is it that people are interested in doing?

The first two methods appear more difficult to implement due to requiring configuration changes. The last one for symlinking would be easy to implement.