The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up SSL on WHM / VPS server

Discussion in 'Security' started by cavamondo, Nov 21, 2011.

1. cavamondo

cavamondo Member

Im going to set up a SSL certificate on our server and i have a few questions :)

The server hostname is web.thedomain.com and the account that is beeing used as primary web account outside people access is an account named www.thedomain.com

Ok should the dedicated unshared IP defined in the www.thedomain.com or should the primary IP adress just be left alone / unshared and all accounts created on the server moved to another IP. So that root is using the primary IP alone?

Ok, so the certificate is to be registred to a domain name - what domain name should i choose web.thedomain.com or www.thedomain.com - and how do i ensure the certificates work on the cpanel ports?

Thx in advance :)

2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello cavamondo,

SSL CA issues ssl certificate on domain name. First decide whether you want to install ssl on hostname of the server or on only domain. If you want to install it on domain then make sure you generate csr for correct domain i.e for domain.com or for www.domain.com. Certificate issued for domain.com can not be use for www.domain.com and vice versa.

Secondly dedicated IP is mandatory requirement for ssl installtion. Unless domain point to dedicated IP ssl can not be installed on it.

#2 storminternet, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. Shyam Mohammed

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey,

Actually you can use the domain SSL for cPanel/WHM/Webmail/Webdisk without any problem, provided you are using the domain name itself to access cPanel/WHM/Webmail/Webdisk. So, I would suggest,

1. Generate CSR with domain name and purchase the certificate.
    2. Move the domain to dedicated IP and install SSL
    3. Install the same certificates to the cPanel services via WHM option Manage Service SSL Certificates
    4. In the WHM Tweak Settings, set "SSL redirect destination" option to SSL Certificate Name

The SSL installed for cPanel services will not conflict with the site certificate since these services are served via different ports.

In step 3, you can install the same certificate for other services (FTP, Mail..etc) as well, provided you are connecting to the particular service using the name you used in your certificate.

The other option is to use a SAN Certificate which will cover up additional subdomains. You can go for a cheap SAN certificate (much cheaper than wildcard SSL) and can use www.thedomain.com, web.thedomain.com , mail.thedomain.com & secure.thedomain.com (the choice is yours!) as SANs and can install them using the steps above.

4. cavamondo

cavamondo Member

5. Shyam Mohammed

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. cavamondo

cavamondo Member

Excellent - it worked .. thx a bunch ^^