Setting up website on domain that CPanel is installed on

Matt W

Registered
Aug 31, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello, I have purchased a dedicated server and CPanel and have set it all up, The problem is that when I try to create an account to use for my primary merchant website it comes up with this error:
Sorry, that domain is already setup (remove it from httpd.conf)

Thanks in advance,
Matt

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Please ensure the domain name is not already created on another account. You can run the use the following command to check this:

Code:
# /scripts/whoowns domain.com
Remove the domain name from the other account before attempting to create it as a separate account.

Thank you.

Matt W

Registered
Aug 31, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello :)

Please ensure the domain name is not already created on another account. You can run the use the following command to check this:

Code:
# /scripts/whoowns domain.com
Just tried that, returned nothing when I ran the command

Remove the domain name from the other account before attempting to create it as a separate account.

Thank you.

Just tried that, returned nothing when I ran /scripts/whoowns. Any more ideas?

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Did you setup the hostname the same as the domain you are trying to create?

Code:
hostname -f
If so, go to WHM > Change Hostname and use server.domain.com where domain.com is the main domain you are using. After you've changed the hostname, then try to setup the account again. You cannot use the hostname as a domain you'll have for a cPanel account. The hostname is owned by nobody, so it must be a subdomain off that domain that you don't plan to use for anything besides the hostname.