Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

setup a new dedicated server nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by hawkv, Dec 1, 2004.

1. hawkv

hawkv Registered

I currently have a VPS account with root access and cPanel. I have decided to purchase a dedicated server with cPanel as well. I would like to keep both accounts active, each one is with a different providor. With my VPS account I have ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com setup and running with the domain name domain.com hosted in it, how do I configure ns3.domain.com and ns4.domain.com on the new dedicated server without moving or creating a new account? I don't want to register another domain name for the new dedicated server. Is this possible, so at the end I will have 2 pairs of nameservers with the first and another pair of nameservers with the dedicated server ....

2. tcaetano

tcaetano Active Member

There is no problem with that.

You can have for example

ns1. and ns2. pointing to a server

ns3. and ns4. pointing to another server

dns1. and dns2. pointing to another one

and the domain hosted elsewhere.

3. hawkv

hawkv Registered

So what i did is I went to my registrar and pointed ns3 and ns4 to the new dedicated server IP. I guess my question now is what do I have to do on the dedicated server to enable these 2 pairs of ns3 & ns4 through whm /

Thanks

4. tcaetano

tcaetano Active Member

In WHM go to "Server Setup" > "Edit Setup", then set the "Primary Nameserver" and the "Secondary Nameserver" with the nameservers you have created.

Hope this helps...