Alvaro3663

Registered
May 28, 2011
I went to the FTP Accounts page and I tried to create an anonymous account but I couldn't. This is the info that appear on the page, but I cannot see any "Setup Anonymous FTP Access in the FTP Manager".

Anonymous ftp users allow anonymous ftp connections to your site. Anonymous FTP Access is controlled through Setup Anonymous FTP Access in the FTP Manager. The existance of an anonymous ftp account does not mean that anonymous access is enabled.
There is an Anonymous ftp page which says this

You can allow users to connect to your anonymous FTP directory without having a password to login. This may be useful if you have files that you wish to be publicly available for download. Please note that allowing anonymous users to access any part of your system may be considered a security hole.

Allow anonymous access to /ftp://ftp.alvaroalcaide.com

Allow anonymous uploads to /ftp://ftp.alvaroalcaide.com/incoming

I can't be so difficult!:confused:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

You will not need to create an FTP account in order to enable Anonymous FTP. Instead, you can browse to the following option within the cPanel of the account:

"cPanel -- Files -- Anonymous FTP"

This page defines how anonymous users interact with your FTP server. Using the checkboxes, anonymous users can be denied or allowed access to your FTP server for downloading or uploading content. The full details for this option are explained at:

Anonymous FTP

Thank you.

Alvaro3663

Registered
May 28, 2011
Thanks! I have both boxes checked but nothing happens.

When I go to the address ftp.alvaroalcaide.com, I get this message
Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no dataError 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If you are using a browser, which browser are you using for accessing that url? Also, you must use [email protected] as the username for the anonymous account unless the account has a dedicated IP (dedicated IP accounts should just be able to use anonymous).

When I use [email protected] as the username and anonymous as the password, I am able to load the page just fine in Firefox as an anonymous user. I've attached a screen print of what I am seeing.

Screen shot 2011-06-07 at 3.40.45 PM.png