The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup cPanel nameservers question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by CryptoByte, Dec 30, 2014.

1. CryptoByte

CryptoByte Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and having some difficulties.

I currently have an amazon EC2 server, it comes with nothing pre-installed so its a bit difficult. However I installed CloudLinux & Cpanel onto the server.

I got WHM all setup and created an account for cpanel, It asked me the domain I would be using so I put it in then created the account.

I'm in my cpanel and have all the webpages in public_html however my godaddy domain is not pointing to my server so I can't see the web files.

How do I go about pointing my godaddy domain to my web server? I'm a bit confused here, so all help is appreciated.

2. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

If you are going to continue to use GoDaddy's name servers, then all you would need to do is change the IP address (A record) to point to your server. If you set up your own name servers on your VPS, then you would need to change the name servers (also at GoDaddy) to point to the new name servers you created.

3. CryptoByte

CryptoByte Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Okay so I just point the domain to my server IP?

I'm running it off an amazon ec2 server, so I would take the public IP address of the server and point that to the domain?

- - - Updated - - -

I read somewhere I need to create my own name servers?

4. CryptoByte

CryptoByte Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm in a deep hole here, I'm getting very frustrated since I have no one to ask questions or anything like that.

I'm trying to host my own website on a amazon ec2 server.

The server currently has 40GB of disk space, 2 cores, and 4GB of ram.

I setup WHM, and created a cpanel account.

The cpanel account has the proper domain I'm using, however I need help setting up a web server on it.

I have no clue how to point my domain to my public_html files.

I don't know what to do, or anything about nameservers, etc.

I was told I need to create my own nameserver's in WHM? Then I was given a godaddy link to edit my nameservers and bunch off missing pieces that I'm left on my own.

I'm very good at servers, etc but I have no clue about domain nameservers or how to use them.

I need step by step instructions to configuring my cpanel account that my domain links up with my files.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Multiple threads merged here.

In an effort to assist you, a link to the cPanel docs might be useful:
    http://documentation.cpanel.net/

There, if you search for the term, godaddy, and click into the first result, you should be able to find some of those missing pieces you're looking for. Those docs will be your best friend going forward since you're new to it all. Take your best friend out to lunch.

GoDaddy docs might also be of some use:
    https://support.godaddy.com/search/nameserver

You could even search these forums for the term, nameserver, and find many, many threads and step by step instructions to use and learn from.

This topic is one of the most asked about, (and seemingly least read about) that I know of on these forums.

You might also find this blog series of some use:
    How I Built a cPanel Hosting Environment on Amazon AWS - cPanel Blog

HTH!