The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup NameServers for resellers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tuwebhost, Oct 28, 2008.

1. tuwebhost

tuwebhost Member

Hi:

I am newbe for CPANEL and WHM.

I need to setup nameservers for my resellers, they want to setup their own nameservers, how can I do that?

How do I do this using the same IPs that I have for the dns that I set already for the server.

This is a dedicated server only for my resellers clients.

I want to say that I setup my dns already and work just fine, but I got my first reseller that want their own nameservers.

Any HELP?

thanks.

2. jBillu

jBillu Member

Setup NameServers for reseller

Hi,

As you mentined that you have been using your own Nameservers on your dedicated server and now your Reseller wants to use his Custom Nameservers. You can provide him the two IPs that you used for your Nameserver registration to register his custom Nameservers at the registrar of his site. Once registered, then he can point his site to his custom Nameservers at the reigistrar. Last step is to setup his custom Nameservers on your dedicated server. For this purpose login into the WHM and go to link "WHM >> Resellers >> Reseller Center". Here in the "Reseller Modifications" section please choose the Reseller account from drop down list and click on "Edit Privileges/Nameservers" link. At the bottom of the page you will see "Nameservers" section. Here you can mentin his custom Nameservers in "Nameserver 1" and "Nameserver 2" fields respectively and 'Save' changes. That's it.

Hope that will help.

3. tuwebhost

tuwebhost Member

Hi jBillu

thanks for the response and help.

the reseller has a domain in nic chile and NIC CHILE has only one page that can set a dns and IP.

So I guess I can give the reseller the main 2 dns and 2 IPs from the server and this will do it rigth?

I am guessing this because this region registrar NIC CHILE does not have in their control panel of admin for domains a way to register dns.

if this possible?

thanks.

4. jBillu

jBillu Member

Hi,

You are always welcome :c)

Yes, you can provide him the main 2 DNS along with IPs but for more details please ask your client to check with registrar support or read their FAQs/

5. solveforce

solveforce Registered

Reseller Custom DNS

Can you use the same IP's assigned for the root's custom name servers also for the resellers custom name servers or do they have to be separate and distinct IP's?

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Yes, you can use the same IPs for the mail domain and all resellers ...

No, you do NOT **need** separate and distinct IPs for your resellers.

(NOTE: you can optionally give them their own IPs but it is not necessary)

Now one more side note ---

Looking through this thread, all the instructions generally speaking are correct but I don't see any real mention of updating the DNS zones.

Other than registering the new DNS servers in reseller server and the same addresses and IPs at the domain registrar, you also need to add the same DNS addresses to the domain DNS zone record as both "A" addresses and also as the nameserver being used for the domain.

That is pretty much it though ....