The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup one of my other servers as an Outgoing Mail server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by noimad1, Apr 14, 2006.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I have a strange one for you guys.

I have a server that got blacklisted by AOL, and I am going round and round with them to get it un-blacklisted. In the meantime I have one customer on that server that really needs to get mail to AOL users.

So, here is what I am thinking. First, I don't want to move the entire account to a new server. So I was thinking that i could set the account up on one of my other servers that is not blacklisted, and have it setup with all the mail accounts like the old server. However, I am going to leave the DNS pointing everything like the website and regular mail record to the old mail server.

Then I am going to create a new mail2 record that points to the new server. Then have them point their outgoing mailserver to the new mail2.theirdomain.com so that outgoing mail will go through the new server, but incomming mail and their website will still go through the old server.

Does this sound like it will work? Will I have problems with reverseDNS lookups and such when they send the mail?

I mean I'm sure people use external mail servers all the time, I just have never done it with one of my other servers.

Please let me know your thoughts, or if I have missed anything?

2. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

reverse dns lookups will point back to the base name of the server/ip that the mail is being sent from.. it wouldn't point to the virtual domain in any case so that shouldn't be a concern.

you shouldn't have to go to the trouble you suggested.
    put the domain in /etc/relayhosts or /etc/secondarymx on mail2

that should solve your problem. .. if you're users are using 'smtp.DOMAIN.COM' then you can just change the IP address for smtp to the other server whenever you have this problem and they needn't do anything on their end...so when you change it back or change it to yet another server, they're none the wiser.

or you can change the IP address for mail... the mx record should still be the domains ip address and the dns lookup for mail will tell their email client to go to the other machine. then change it back after AOL pulls their head out.

3. noimad1

Awesome, I am going to give that a try. Thank you very much for the information!

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually, a while back either here or on WHT there was a post by somebody on how to make cpanel send out email on different IPs for different target domains. I've been thinking about using this myself.

One of the things that helps with AOL is using SPF on the domain, in a fairly non-restrictive way. This has rather effectively solved the problem I was having; also a "feedback loop" is useful, it's where AOL tells you about emails that have been labelled as spam so you can deal with the problem more directly.

If I can find the posts telling how to do this, I'll add them here.

5. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

It should be noted that this may also only solve it temporarily. If AOL users mark a message as spam, rather than remove themselves from a list, for instance, eventually that server will be blacklisted again. Aggravating Our Lusers... gotta luv'em.

7. noimad1

Yea, my problem is that I do have a feedback loop setup for this particular server, but never receive any complaints from AOL on this one. However, when I try the whitelist they reject it saying too much spam.

I don't understand how there can be too much spam when they never send me any of the complaints for this particular server.

I wish AOL would just go out of business already...

8. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have a cinema (movie theatre) here in Melbourne that is one of our customers, and they send out movie notices to around 3,000 people once a week. One of those is an AOL luser and they regularly mark the email as spam instead of unsubscribing. *sigh* :rolleyes:

What annoys me though is, there's no identifying information in the bounceback we get from the feedback loop. If there was, I'd delete them in a second. Anyway if it keeps up I'll just jump in and clean out all AOL people from the list! :p

postscript: and yes, changing IP is only a temporary solution, you need to get the AOL people removed from lists etc asap. One problem I've heard of is that AOL people forward their email accounts to AOL which then gets your server blocked for spam as it did the email forward. Go figure, but might be worth a "grep @aol /etc/valiases/*" to see what turns up.

#8 brianoz, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  9. HostIt

HostIt Well-Known Member

Your client should try adding a user-specific unsubscribe link in their emails - or at least some form of identifier.

We host a particular large list, and any time we get a bounceback in the feedback loop, we click the "Unsubscribe" link straight away. Unfortunately the list member in question then has to reply to a confirmation email, but 9 times out of 10 the confirmation email comes back to us in the feedback loop also! We have no hesitation confirming the unsubscription for them at that point :D

#9 HostIt, Oct 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2007