The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup remote mysql server

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by B12Org, Aug 31, 2010.

1. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I am trying to setup a remote mysql server for a new serer in a testing environment and am running into issues.

server #1 has cpanel installed
    server #2 has cpanel installed
    server #3 does not have cpanel installed and is the mysql server

all 3 have the same root user, root password, mysql root password, and have direct root logins enabled - in this test case both local root and mysql root are using the same password.

When setting it up I enter the IP, set it to use ssh on 22, login as root and use the root password I specify.

it fails at the end - why is that?

also, why cant I just specify a user and password to connect to a remote mysql host and just have cpanel set up the DBs on that host - why does it have to "setup" another server?

This means I cant use a mysql windows host that we may have already established for other clients.....

2. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Your problem likely lies here:

Code:
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    Make sure you don't have a /root/.my.cnf file that has the wrong access credentials stored in it.

3. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    actually it seems like I was just a fool, csf didnt allow outbound connections on 3306 by default so I had to update the firewall config.

4. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So I set this up, and when I login to cpanel as a customer and go to the mysql databases page, it does show the remote data there and tells me that I need to use the remote hostname to access my databases - but when I go to that same cpanel server in ssh and connect to mysql and do a show databases command it shows me that the databases are created locally as well as at the remote host.

Why is that ?

remote mysql server
    web server