The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setup shared SSL the same as the hostname

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hicom, Jul 2, 2008.

1. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

Hi,

We name our servers like host1.domain.com , host2.domain.com and would like to create a shared SSL based on these names.

Using:
    WHM 11.23.2 cPanel 11.23.3-R25971
    FREEBSD 6.3-RELEASE i386 on standard - WHM X v3.1.0

However, when trying to install the SSL certificate, we get this error:

Sorry, the domain host2.domain.com is not configured on this machine, please add it as a subdomain or parked domain before installing ssl. If you wish to install this certificate anyway you must configure it for the user 'nobody'.
    SSL Install aborted due to error.

we tried to adding host2.domain.com as subdomain, but that failed saying:

Error from domain wrapper: Sorry you cannot create a subdomain with the same name as the hostname of this machine (host2.domain.com).

The funny thing, we've done it one before. But the server was rebuilt, so it could be the latest cPanel that is preventing us.

Any suggestions on how to create proper shared SSL certificate with the hostname?

Just to add, i've already enabled the check mark under "Tweak Settings":Allow users to park subdomains of the server's hostname main domain.
    Thanks.....

2. manuxer

manuxer Active Member

I have the same problem with creating a subdomain with the same name as hostname, and install a ssl certificat.
    Is there any solutions to this?

3. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

Server certificates should be installed under services "Manage Service Certificates"

If you are trying to do something else, you can't have a subdomain with the same fqdn as your server name.

4. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

The "Manage Service SSL Certificates" does not give you the option to install SSL certificate for the hostname. It only installs SSL for WHM/cPanel on their own ports, but not the actual server.

5. Serra

Serra Well-Known Member

When you are talking about the "server", you are talking about the way that you connect to the server. If you install the certificate for cPanel/Webmail, that basically covers every way you can communicate with the server.

So, no it doesn't say "server", but it covers all possible communication with the server, so in effect, it is the server.

6. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

Have you tried it? It doesn't work. I've had it setup and it shows the SSL certificate is installed and valid, but it won't work for the main hostname. it will only work for cPanel/WHM.

p.s. thanks for your time to address the question.

#6 hicom, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  7. qlites

qlites Member

Anyone have luck with this? We use to run this setup using the hostname as the shared ssl, but not having any luck setting it up on a new server.

Is there a work around? Using Apache 2.2.9

Thanks.

8. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

We found a solution. When you want to setup the shared SSL certificate, just change the username to: nobody

This will tell cPanel to setup the SSL the same as the server main hostname.

9. MACscr

MACscr Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This seemed to work for me. Is this the recommended process for setting up a shared ssl cert?

10. SylvrFalkon

SylvrFalkon Member

How do I go about installing the certificate on my fqdn as nobody? I have been trying for a while tonight, and cannot figure out what you did.

Thanks,

James :cool:

11. ivaserver

ivaserver Well-Known Member