SOLVED (SFTP/FTP) Cannot connect server

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I tried login my vps server with SFTP and FTP root.

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=7
Command: open "[email protected]" 22
Command: Trust new Hostkey: Once
Command: Pass: ******************
Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

- Removed -

TLS Encryption Support: Optional

Allow Logins with Root Password: Yes

That happens nothing... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

SysSachin

Aug 23, 2015
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Are you using correct login details ? Also check your server logs files and update here if you are getting any error in logs file.

SysSachin

Aug 23, 2015
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
What is the SSH port of your server ? Might be SSH root login is disabled for your server and due to that you are facing this issues. Please login your server through KVM console and check it.

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
What is the SSH port of your server ?
It's is 22.

Might be SSH root login is disabled for your server and due to that you are facing this issues.
Nope, it's is enabled. But i have to login host it's called (TransIP) Control Panel by OpenSSH or PuTTY, i can't find what this about well. Here

- Removed. Please attach images to your post -

KVM console? What is about?

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Please review the document below to ensure you are configuring your SFTP client correctly:

How to Configure Your SFTP Client - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Keep in mind SFTP is essentially FTP over the SSH protocol. FTP is it's own protocol, so the settings you change for FTP won't affect the SFTP service. For instance, if you have password authentication disabled for SSH, it's also disabled for SFTP. Review the /var/log/secure log file when SFTP authentication fails to see if you notice any specific error messages.

Thank you.

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

Please review the document below to ensure you are configuring your SFTP client correctly:

How to Configure Your SFTP Client - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Keep in mind SFTP is essentially FTP over the SSH protocol. FTP is it's own protocol, so the settings you change for FTP won't affect the SFTP service. For instance, if you have password authentication disabled for SSH, it's also disabled for SFTP. Review the /var/log/secure log file when SFTP authentication fails to see if you notice any specific error messages.

Thank you.
That happens, i just solved from my friend edited by /etc/ssh/sshd_conf,

SFTP connection and root is enabled.

If i enable the CSF won't be connect SFTP/FTP, SSH same, Also Website is 403 forbidden.

I disabled CSF has nothing.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

What is output to the /var/log/secure log file when SFTP access fails?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

I removed the attachment because it includes your server's IP address, however it looks like authentication failed due to a bad username/password. Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature if you'd like us to take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here and we will update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

Reactions: Samet Chan