The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SFTP instead of FTP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mealto, Jun 15, 2008.

1. mealto

mealto Well-Known Member

Is there a way to disable normal FTP and run SFTP on a CentOS server? By the way, what is SCP? Noticed this inside the WinSCP client as an option. Reason for wanting to switch over is that there are just too many FTP hack attempts. Will going to SFTP be better?

2. mealto

mealto Well-Known Member

ok, just learned something new! Figured out in WinSCP that I can SFTP in to our server if I change the port to our SSH port but use the normal FTP ID + PW. Does this mean using this method to uploading files is a secure method now?

If so, can we disable FTP entirely for peace of mind that none of those FTP hack attempts will get through? If so, how do we disable FTP inside WHM?

3. bls24

bls24 Well-Known Member

I ditched ftp a few months ago for the same reasons.
    I exclusively use WinSCP now, and I shut ftp off completely in WHM.

As you connect on the SSH port, ftp is now obsolete and it won't affect WinsCP at all, by getting rid of it.

Disable ftp on WHM:
    Service Manager -> uncheck both boxes for ftpd -> Save

#3 bls24, Jun 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  4. mealto

mealto Well-Known Member

If you use WinSCP and connect directly to the SSH port, you would use the account ID + PW correct (instead of root)? This way, the files you upload will still be owned by the right user and not by root. Is that correct?

5. mealto

mealto Well-Known Member

Noitced that if we use WinSCP to SFTP in, we can connect from multiple terminals. But using SmartFTP, we can only connect 1 session at a time. Is there a way to set things up so we can use SmartFTP to SFTP in from multiple machines at the same time?

6. woodp5

woodp5 Member

WinSCP problems since July

I wonder if this is related to the WinSCP problems I've just recently started having ...

Initially, I was receiving "Unexpected directory listing in line 'drwxr-x--- 6 nobody 4096 Sep xx xx:xx.'." error any time I tried to log on to one of my accounts. My host suggested I change the public_html permissions from 750 to 755 but that had no effect on WinSCP's operation. Now my error listing is "Unexpected directory listing in line 'drwxr-xr-x 6 nobody 4096 Sep xx xx:xx.'."

If I change the connection type to SFTP, I can log in, but file transfers, deletions and just about anything else I try to do fails.

This problem started in July and my host has been unable to find a fix. I really like WinSCP - What kind of data do I need to provide for my host to be able to diagnose the problem?

Thank you!

7. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Please have your host check that public_html is owned by user:nobody.

A note: If you can ditch FTP, do it. SCP or SFTP are much more secure methods of connecting to the server.