The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SFTP not working for one domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mark Baldock, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Mark Baldock

Mark Baldock Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi. I run a number of servers out of various data centres and host a range of domains. I recently set up a new account for a client in the conventional way through WHM, however I have not been able to establish a FTP or SFTP connection to that domain. That particular server hosts around 6 domains... all of which function absolutely normally. I have scoured all the settings for this recalcitrant domain in both WHM and cPanel but can find nothing that suggests why I cant establish a FTP connection. I have even deleted the account, and recreated it... but still no FTP. I have placed content to the site via File Manager in cPanel. Any ideas anyone?

2. sarhosting

sarhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Mark:
    Is the settings under Home » Security Center » SSH Password Authorization Tweak disabled?
    That is always the first place I go to check when a SFTP connection fails then cPHulk afterwards.

3. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Do you notice any specific error messages in /var/log/messages file ? And also let me know what error are you getting in your FTP client ?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Are you using a specific client for FTP and SFTP connections? What error message do you receive? Note that SFTP does not run on the same protocol as FTP, as these are two separate services.

Thank you.

5. Mark Baldock

Mark Baldock Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks for reply... have used Dreamweaver FTP client, and tested on Cute, Filezilla and others. All return the error simply... 'cannot connect... check pwd etc'

Hi. i have around 80 domains on various servers. I connect SFTP on all of them except this ONE domain. The domain functions in all other respects perfectly normally. It just wont allow an FTP connection

#5 Mark Baldock, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please test with both FTP and SFTP and let us know the results. These are two separate services so if the login fails for one service it does not mean it will automatically fail for the other.

Thank you.