The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SFTP password different from FTP pass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iLLuSi0nS, Oct 9, 2008.

1. iLLuSi0nS

iLLuSi0nS Active Member

When I try logging into one of my clients cpanel accounts with FTP and use their username but my root password, it connects fine.

But when I try logging into my clients cpanel accounts with SFTP and use their username and my root password, it doesnt work, only that usernames password works to login.

Any1 know why? I am using Dreamweaver. Thanks

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SFTP is a subsystem of SSH. It is not associated with FTP in any way, it just acts and looks like FTP.

cPanel must have modified the code in pure-ftpd to allow logins with the root password (or is this the way pure-ftpd was designed?).

At any rate, this is not the case with SSH.

SSH depends on having the correct username and password authentication or if you are using keys, the correct public/private key passphrase.

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Close. Pure-FTPd, along with Courier and other services, allow use of external authentication processes. External meaning not provided with Pure-FTPd. The cPanel authlib process handles the actual authentication and is where the special root/reseller password override occurs.

Since we do not provide an authentication mechanism for OpenSSH (which is what typically performs the SFTP handling on a Linux and FreeBSD machine) the root/reseller override does not work or exist.