The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SFTP Sub Users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fxars, Aug 28, 2009.

1. fxars

fxars Registered

I created a sub user of an account. I want to allow that person to transfer files to his directory, which was created when that account was created.

However, when I sftp to the site, I get "permission denied" errors.

I can use sftp using the username of which the sub-user is a member.

This is the first time we've tried this. Is there any other configuration or setup that needs to be done at the administrative level?

2. meeven

meeven Well-Known Member

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but it looks like you are trying to use FTP over SSH for a secondary Ftp account. Unfortunately, this will not work. Secondary FTP accounts can only use plain FTP through Port 21.

If you are actually using plain FTP, then ensure that the secondary FTP username is in the syntax username@domain.com, otherwise it won't connect.

3. dannydesiliva

dannydesiliva Member

SFTP home folder permissions problem

For all of our SFTP accounts, when either an 'ls' or 'dir command is executed in the default home folder, the server gives the error:
    sftp> ls
    Couldn't stat remote file: No such file or directory
    sftp>

If you CD to any sub folder, there are no issues and everything works just fine.

I cannot even CD back into the home folder:
    sftp> pwd
    Remote working directory: /test_acct
    sftp> cd upload
    sftp> cd ..
    Couldn't stat remote file: No such file or directory
    sftp>
    What is odd is that if I enable FTP on the same accounts using the same folders, everything works normally.

What is it about using SFTP and the default home directory that is causing this, and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

George..
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

snoozer dog beds | printing companies washington | how to beat a drug test

#3 dannydesiliva, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009