Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

shadow file (for email client) empty

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Gastón, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Gastón

Gastón Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello everybody, today I have a weird problem with one of my CPANEL Servers, one of our clients reported that they were unable to login to their email accounts. I found that the file /home/$usermane/etc/$domain/shadow has only one user in it, and there was other file "/home/$usermane/etc/$domain/shadow.roottn.bak" with all the users/and encrypted passwords.
    I copied the missing accounts from the .bak file to the original shadow, restarted the dovecot and the problem was solved, BUT....

The problem replicated in several accounts of the server.... what caused it ? Any script that failed ? Which log can I check it to see what happened ?

Thank you very much as always,

Regards.

Gastón.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Gastón,

It seems like someone with root access to your system manually moved the existing shadow files out of the way. Can you check with any of your system administrators or hosting provider to see if this was done intentionally?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...