The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shame on PHPBb

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by procam, Jun 11, 2006.

1. procam

procam Well-Known Member

:p I for the life of me cannot imagine why phpbb support people would have told one of my clients they they will not assist her with a broken phpbb because she installed it via cpanel and that if its installed this way they will not support it ?
    But Ok if thats the case WHY do we have it in there -- Phpbb seems to have become a huge pain in my backside about this last year everytime I turn around..............Hacked Hacked Hacked and then when new versions of it come out broken broken broken - perhaps phpbb support should begin working more closely with cpanel installation requirements and provide enhanced support to those customers to better understand where phpbb is going wrong with some things.........

I prolly should rant about this on the phpbb forum but Im more concerned with other cpanel users knowing about this than arguing with those folks .........

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=398465

IMHO - their position is clear -

#1 procam, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Seems like EVERYTHING is becoming HACKED, HACKED, HACKED in the past year or so. It's getting to a point where we spend hours every week going through all our systems checking for apps and system software to see if new exploits have come out.

:(

3. procam

procam Well-Known Member

I try to take that in stride - if u let it get to you yer in trouble~
    But phpbb people have continually been RUDE and outright unforgivingly defiant about cpanel and hosting clients that install phpbb using cpanel - Time to stop the BS - I asked their support staff to respond to this thread and speak up - if they want phpbb removed then they need to say so - or they need to change their ATTITUDE and work with us not against us concerning issues involving THEIR software.

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Good luck with that. I'd be surprised if anyone from PHPBB shows up here. There BB is garbage anyway, so not surprised at the response you got. Anyway we'll see what happens, miracles can happen.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Here's my opinion. Stop using it. Ban it from your server for good. Disable it from within WHN. As I have and many others have as well.

6. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

The version available in Cpanel is pretty outdated usually (at least in Fantastico). The best thing might be to get your clients to swith to vBulletin.

7. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Their comments do not seem rude to me. They seem to believe that cpanel (or Fantastico perhaps) modifies their code during the install. If they truly believe that, then why would they support it? It would be ridiculous to have to support mistakes/errors brought into your product by a third party.

8. procam

procam Well-Known Member

I tend to think this may be a good idea however I have given their support team one final chance to come here and discuss this before putting a company wide ban on this phpbb script ~ Lettuce see if they want to come talk because they boldly said they dont want to discuss this on their board!!

9. procam

procam Well-Known Member

And that being said - if cpanel or fantastico modifies the phpbb script in anyway during install I agree this is a problem but it should NOT become the hosts problem - this issue rests between cpanel /Fantastico and phpbb BUT it does need to be resolved or the phpbb script needs to be removed from service totally on all cpanel applications this is NOT fair to the end users our hosting clients who cannot get support for the phpbb scripts and then what happens when they do a manual install and its an insecure phpbb again and it gets the server hacked ~ guess what it just became OUR problem AGAIN!! Thus the reason for concern!!

10. Evolution Hosts

I think maybe it is time to replace it with something else that would be supported.

11. NightStorm

NightStorm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm curious. Having looked at the install script for phpBB very recently while building my own copy of it (2.0.21 with some added in skins for a better feel), I noticed one thing.
    NONE of the code is modified, with the exception of the config file (which has the base database connection template for it already inplace, instead of needing to be added manually), and the sql data has the php_ replaced with [% table_prefix %]_. They haven't changed any code in the files. They also bypass the need for the install folder by passing the info directly to the SQL and the config.
    If anything, I would see this as a security improvement, as it eliminates the need to remove the install folder, and gets all the critical ifnormation out of the folder that could lead to a wiped forum.
    I haven't had a chance to look at the Fantastico build yet (as they promise to have Fantastico v3 out sometime in the next month anyway, which would require having to relearn how they build the installs), but I imagine they do not modify any of the source code either.
    I fail to see what their "support" thinks could have been missed in the install. Their installer is not that complex to begin with. Enter SQL connect info into config.php, install SQL tables and default data, insert primary administrator into database, whine about install folder still existing. The problem that was posted on that board would not have been fixed any differently if it was a source install... the install steps do not touch the cookie settings. That's something that has to be done manually anyway.

But whatever. I've never been impressed with phpBB support anyway.

12. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

phpbb is outdated by other FREE forum software. They might be a good product few years back but they never improve it and add mods to it is pain in the everywhere. Everytime you upgrade a version, you will have to re-apply all the mods. What a piece of old junk.

If your customers don't mind paying, get vbulletin or invision board.

If you customers want free software, get SMF (simplemachineforum). This product is awesome!! Once I installed this, I like it a lot!! And it's FREE.

13. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I agree with this. And please keep in mind that they offer it for FREE. There is no warranty. If it create problems which it do, don't use it.

Also agree on SMF, disable phpBB and move forward to SMF. I believe that there are convertor tools to convert phpbb data to SMF.

#13 rvskin, Jun 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  14. NightStorm

NightStorm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Haven't experienced the PATCH system that phpBB releases yet, hmm? So far, they are the only board I have come across that allows for upgrading without having to remod the board, by way of only patching what needs to be updated, instead of requiring overwrites or 2 hours of code-hunting.
    I haven't tested the new upgrade proceedure for phpBB through cPaddons, but it looks like they use the diff.patch system as well, so it should be pretty simplistic.
    My guess, phpBB is spending less time working on their 2.x build, as they are working up to their 3.x release. Which is something that even cPanel does... why spend the effort putting new features into a build that won't be supported in a few weeks anyway?

As far as conversion, http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?converters has the downloads. But for phpBB, they have not tested beyond v2.0.7, so there may be some data loss.