The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shared IP not working at all...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JColvard, Jan 8, 2006.

1. JColvard

JColvard Member

ok, for whatever reason WHM is ignoring the server settings for the main shared IP in all areas, including reseller.

its kind of a mess. what it seems to want to do is take the first site to use the shared ip and make it a dedicated ip for that site.

usign change multiple sites IP allows only the first account to use the MAIN SHARED IP, the rest are forced to use the servers primary IP.

this really is starting to seem like a problem in CPanel, as all settings are correct in the GUI. now, if someone can tell me where to edit using shell, great.

oh yea, adding mainsharedips/root did nothing. accounts are screwed up, domain names dont resolve correctly.

is it a bug?

thanks for any input.

2. JColvard

JColvard Member

Further annoyance.

why is it returning the first account as the default account for errors/non-configured sub-domains?

I've seeen some posts reporting similar issues and never actually see any resolution.

is it that any deviation of the main shared IP creates problems? how can i not have the first account on my shared IP as the defualt error page? this is a really nasty issue. clients enter subdomain.domain.com and get the wrong site. made even more irritating due to the fact the account returned is a lousy client.

3. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

I suggest you to choose STABLE tree and run update (/scripts/upcp). Then try again.

4. JColvard

JColvard Member

Thanks but...

Thanks, tried forceing, various versions, etc.

none of the releases resolve it. its been a problem since i got the server. its just gotten critical to resolve this.

heres what happens enter www.domain.com get the site. enter wwww.domain.com get the first account alphabetically. it appears that its a bug in CPanel to me.

additionally, it takes subdomains for addon domains and and redirects them to the first account.

so webmail.domainB.com redirects to domainA.com.

5. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Can you run this command?
    /sbin/service httpd configtest

Then post here what it feeds back to you.

6. JColvard

JColvard Member

Sure...

thanks for the suggestion.

Warning: DocumentRoot [/usr/home/xxx/public_html/xxxx] does not exist
    [Mon Jan 9 14:07:19 2006] [warn] NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.28:80 has no Virtual
    Hosts
    [Mon Jan 9 14:07:19 2006] [warn] NameVirtualHost xx.xx.xxx..32:80 has no Virtual
    Hosts
    Syntax OK

those two IPS are not being used at the moment.

first error is a deleted sub directory of an account with a dedicated ip. none of these errors are poinitng to the servers primary IP or the "shared" IP.

also, all the accounts reside under one reseller, (not root).

any thing i can add let me know. I've seen this problem posted on several forums, so fixing it would be great.

thanks

7. JColvard

JColvard Member

Worked around it.

what appears to be happening is it pulls the first virtual account out of httpd.conf and defaults to it if the requested sub-domain dosesnt exist. I'm guessing it may be something to do with changing the shared domain and setting up a wildcard in the dns.

to get it to not resolve to an actual account i created an account using a sub-domain (server.domain.com), setup the default page (index.php) to return the requested URL and reports it as invalid). I could have pointed it at the default 404 page, but this way worked.

if anyone wants to suggest what i'm doing wrong in my httpd.conf or how i might have misconfigured the shared IP that would be great. in the mean time, this is my solution.