The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shared IP Question ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bsamson, Oct 31, 2004.

1. bsamson

bsamson Active Member

Hello all! I am fairly new to cPanel & WHM. I currently am leasing a dedicated server, and it was setup last night. My Question is this:

The main shared IP is, let's say: xx.xx.xx.01

I setup all client accounts using the shared IP, including my own initially.

Now, in WHM I just changed my sites IP. I want my site to have a dedicated IP for various reasons.

I understand it takes time to propagate, but just out of curiousity, I went to mydomain.com.

It displays one of my client websites! I would rather it display a page cannot be found error, then showing one of my client websites.

Now, the question:

Why does cPanel do this? And how do I fix it.

One my last cPanel server, if you changed a sites IP it would simply timeout if a user attempted to access the page prior to properly propagating.

On the last cPanel server, if you were to reference the main shared IP via a browser, it would display, "No address configured for this address" or something similiar.

How do I get this thing fixed??? Please any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for any assistance,
    BRian

2. Hoza

Hoza Member

If I understand this correctly, and I know I'm a little late on this post, but figured it could be answered anyway (I'm searching for another answer)...

For shared hosting, if a user visits the IP address, either by domain name whose DNS resolves to that IP, or by entering the IP addy directly, a couple things will happen. First, if the domain is currently set up on the server with an active account, they'll see that website. Otherwise, if the domain/account isn't there, the user will wee the site of the FIRST virtual site that is listed in the httpd.conf file in the virtual hosts directives down near the end.

Thus, if you type in the IP alone, you'll just see the first one on the list... it's often desireable to re-order the host entries in that httpd.conf file (in my opinion) so that there's a "desireable" root website that folks will see if there's some problem.

Also, I believe really old web browsers don't always support name-based sites, so in those cases, the same thing would happen... the first account listed in the .conf file would load up.

HTH.

3. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    To fix you problem ethier move your domain to first on the list for that IP

or place this above the domain thats showing up on the IP in question and it will display the default server page

<VirtualHost xx.xx.xxx.xx>
    ServerAlias hostname.yourdomain.com
    </VirtualHost>