The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shared SSL for Reseller Account

Discussion in 'Security' started by veronicabend, Jan 5, 2016.

1. veronicabend

veronicabend Well-Known Member

Hello.

Is it possible to have a shared SSL certificate to be used by all accounts owned by a given reseller? Like the hostname shared certificate, but for a reseller.

So if the reseller main domain is www.maindomain.com, I install an SSL certificate on it and share it, and then other accounts can use it like https://www.maindomain.com/~account1 and https://www.maindomain.com/~account2 .

I know this can be achieved with the server hostname and share the certificate for the entire server, but this is a reseller account. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could install a SSL certificate for the reseller domain name, and then configure Apache mod_userdir to allow access to the shared SSL URL:

"WHM Home » Security Center » Apache mod_userdir Tweak"

Thank you.

3. veronicabend

Thank you! This needs to be done by server admin or can it be done in the reseller WHM?

Also, does the SSL need to be shared somehow, or just installed for the reseller main domain?

Thanks again.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will need "root" access to modify the Apache mod_userdir configuration. The SSL is simply installed on the domain name associated with the reseller account in this scenario.

Thank you.

5. veronicabend

Thank you.

Just to confirm before I ask the person to purchase the SSL certificate, I want to be sure that if we install it this way on the reseller main domain, then all of the reseller clients (other domains) will be able to use the ssl URL like this:

https://www.mainresellerdomain.com/~client1
    https://www.mainresellerdomain.com/~client2

And it will point to index.php at client1 and client2 respectively, and not to mainresellerdomain.com .

Thanks.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's possible to configure that URL for users with Apache's mod_userdir, however I suggest consulting with your hosting provider first because it might be their policy to not allow that behavior.

Thank you.

7. ottdev

ottdev Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How did this work out Veronicabend?
    I also wish to know if this can be successfully done... I believe she is asking if it's possible for a reseller account to use a dedicated SSL for reseller and reseller's clients. Presumably while the main server and other clients use a different master certificate. I was under the impression that was only possible if the reseller = a VPS.
    I had this done in the past temporarily by a very accomodating host, but only because that specific server didn't already have a shared cert in place anyway. My cert was set for all services and userdir, but that meant the host's other accounts not having their own certs also shared mine.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, you would have to contact your hosting provider to see if this is possible, as it's not configurable without root access.

Thank you.