The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shared SSL or single domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spacester, Jun 23, 2010.

1. spacester

spacester Registered

Hi all, long time no visit for me.

So I want to secure a shopping cart. I am totally willing to re-install it, but I would like to keep it where it is:
    userdomain.com/cart

This domain is a user on my hosting domain:
    myhostingdomain.com
    which has whm functionality for installing and sharing certs which userdomain.com does not. (Because userdomain.com does not have whm)

In turn, and I think this is important,
    myhostingdomain.com is a "wholesale user" with my good friend's hosting company:
    toplevelhost.com
    He owns the servers which live on a server farm somewhere. Neither of us has done SSL before so I'm on my own. He manages his accounts with VMS, and all accounts point to his nameservers.

So I buy a certificate at godaddy (cheap) and go to install it . . . but godaddy's instructions Installing an SSL Certificate in cPanel WebHost Manager - Search the Go Daddy Help Center do not have a version for installing on userdomain.com because there is not a version for cpanel without whm (by title and by the fact that the instructions require use of whm which userdomain doesn't have).

Aha says I, on the cert section under cpanel's SSL key/CSR/cert area it says you can upload the purchased certificate. I don't need no whm thinks I. But I do it and no joy. Then I note that there is no uploading of the "intermediate cert".

(I modified .htaccess to use mod_rewrite to use https for my cart folder and that works just fine. I get an error though, meaning IINM that my cert is not working. So it's not that)

OK so I do more research, and look at the whm functionality and see the whole shared cert thing.

Then I finds me this here post:
    http://forums.hostgator.com/configure-whm-cpanel-valid-ssl-certificate-t27484.html

At this point you might think I could figure this out but the thing is that while you can go to godaddy and re-key all you want, to change the host and domain you have to revoke. And that wiped out my purchase and I had to make the long phone call to get credit for the cert purchase again so I could try again.

So I don't want to create a new cert at godaddy until I know exactly what domain to buy it for. The hostgator post is helpful but I'm not sure.

I read that certs have to be for a unique IP address but the nameservers for toplevelhost have just the two URLs and users are assigned ports, not IP addresses, right? So is that a bogus statement?

So my question is which "fully qualified domain" do I buy it for?

Or is the problem that I am trying to share a cert that is for a single domain, iow I bought the wrong cert.

Do I buy the cert for

toplevelhost.myhostingdomain.com and have my friend install the cert and I move the cart to cart.myhostingdomain.com

or
    myhostingdomain.userdomain.com
    and install on myhostingdomain with whm and then share it and then go to userdomain to upload the cert from the server?

or maybe even
    toplevelhost.userdomain.com and do something similar?

I suppose I am in an unusual situation with the toplevelhost managing things by vms, but is it really so rare that this hasn't come up before?

Thanks very much for any input.