Sharing an IMAP with multiple people, unsubscribe from Inbox, etc

GoWilkes

Sep 26, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have an account create via cPanel that is to be shared with several people. It's only purpose is to let us all see things that have been posted on the sites that need to be reviewed, and once someone has reviewed it the email will be deleted so that other moderators won't need to bother with it.

So I've created the account, set up filters to move emails to the appropriate folders, and everyone is IMAPed in. I also set it to disabled Sending via cPanel. But in Outlook we still see:

Inbox
Outbox
Drafts
Sent
spam
Trash

These folders are completely unnecessary and just taking up space. But when I try to Unsubscribe, I get a notice that it's a "special folder" and I can't unsubscribe from it.

Any other suggestions on how I might at least remove these from Outlook, if not from the entire account?

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Do you see these under the imap account.
what version of outlook ?
I'm using an oldish version of outlook and those folders are the default outlook folders which you can't remove.
I don't have these inside the imap folder though

GoWilkes

Sep 26, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm using Office 365 Home, and yeah, these folders all show up for everyone that's logged in via IMAP :-( It's not a tragedy or anything, just annoying to have 6 unusable folders in the way of the other 6 folders that are actually being used.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Outbox is related to your specific mail client but I can confirm that the following folders are unable to be removed or unsubscribed from:

Inbox
Drafts
Sent
spam
Trash
Archive (if you archive mail)

They're a part of the webmail installation and are automatically synchronized with IMAP.

I will say though, that this method you're using might not be the best-advised method to do what you're looking to do. Wouldn't a mailing list achieve the same outcome without the need for a separate email account?

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I used that method successfully for 7 years or more, only there were just 2 of us.

A few isues which can crop up though.

Auto archive: If one PC performs an auto archive, emails are still available in his archive folder, but lost to the other users.
Marked as read: If an email inadvertantly gets marked as read, maybe slip of the mouse button etc, all users will believe that someone else dealt with it.

Advantages: You can create a folder structure to archive emails away for future refernce which is echod across all devices.
Disadvantages: Other users don't get to see your sent items.