The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharing content across sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chilihost, Oct 5, 2005.

1. chilihost

chilihost Well-Known Member

Is there any way to setup a shared content folder that can be used across all sites hosted on a particular server? I have a client that wants to host 20 domains on his own dedicated box and have one of those domains or a totally separate domain have a folder which he can upload all his common files. I will be giving him a reseller account and full permissions over the server (except for root) so a solution which is a bit "loose" in security is OK too.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Luke

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a problem, just something you need to get your head around. If security is not such of an issue then you can simply create a folder within the users main cPanel account, for example, /home/accountname/public_html/shared and then chmod 777 that directory. If they intend to use php, then make sure that the WHM > Tweak Security > open_basedir protection is disabled and you should be done.

3. chilihost

thanks...I read on another message board that its fine to do this as long as its not within a user's directory, eg, its fine if its in /home/share but not ok if its in /home/user/public_html/share

I will do some testing :)

cheers!

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's location is reasonably moot if you're not worry about the local security aspect. As a compromise you could put the dir in /home/account/share and that way it's still easy for account to FTP files to it.

5. chilihost

this does not seem to be working for me, but maybe my syntax is wrong. I have a shared folder and a pic.jpg file in it, and in my html I am using an image tag referencing '/home/shared/pic.gif' but of course when loading in a browser it looks to http://domain.com/home/shared/pic.gif

maybe I need to setup some symlinks?

6. chilihost

symlinks worked :)
    and it works for both locations of the shared folder too, ie, you can have the shared folder in /home/shared or /home/username/shared

cheers!