Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

sharing directory for users /home/scripts

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by asmithjr, Mar 30, 2016.

1. asmithjr

asmithjr Well-Known Member

I have set up a new server to move my accounts from my old server. I am trying to remember how I got this working on my older server.

I have a set of php scripts I want all my websites to use and have placed them in /home/scripts.
    In the Apache Service Configuration »Apache Configuration »Include Editor I have placed Alias /scripts /home/scripts in the Pre VirtualHost Include then made the Update.

Now when I go to one of my websites example.com/scripts/file.php I get the dreaded 500 error.
    I can change the ownership to that example.com user:user and I can then access example.com/scripts/file.php just fine. As soon as I change the ownership to anything other it breaks.
    So when I go to example1.com/scripts/file.php I get the 500 error. I change permissions to user1:user1 and it then works but example.com/scripts/file.php stops working.

I have gone into the /etc/group and added root to the end of the line in the wheel group and changed the ownership to root:root for the folder and files in /home/scripts and this is not helping.

Here is the kicker. I have the exact formula working on the original server. I can verify the files and permissions etc on the origional and they are the same on both servers.

Yes I do have root access and yes the few websites I have on the server are all for my company and not sharing with others.

Anyone have an idea what I am missing now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 asmithjr, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  2. asmithjr

Update. I see in my /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log UID of script "/home/scripts/file.php" is smaller than min_uid.

Checking I do have Service Configuration »Configure PHP and suEXEC
    Default PHP Version (.php files) 5
    PHP 5 Handler suphp
    Apache suEXEC on
    Apache Ruid2 off

This means I am using suPHP. I understand this but my origional server has the same settings in WHM and yet it works and no errors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. asmithjr

Sorry to keep posting.
    I copied my suphp.conf file from old server to new server and problem is resolved.

Michael. I am not sure it you want to just delete this thread.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I am happy to see you were able to address the issue. Sharing directories between accounts is considered a security risk. However, feel free to post a copy of your suphp.conf file should other users decide to take the same approach.

Thank you.

5. asmithjr

I agree with you, this is why I did not share the results. it would not be standard for most cPanel servers since typically for shared hosting accounts. In my case it is a dedicated server for just my group.

6. nosajix

nosajix Active Member

I too have this exact problem. And while I understand the security risks of allowing this behavior, there are practical uses for this. Perhaps somebody knows what config value in suphp allow this?

7. asmithjr

look in the /etc/suphp.conf
    find min_uid=100 change that equal to the lowest user that needs access or min_uid=0
    find min_gid=100 change that equal to the lowest user group that needs access or min_gid=0
    I do not remember but you may want to change the paranoid_uid and paranoid_gid

;paranoid_uid_check=true
    ;paranoid_gid_check=true
    paranoid_uid_check=false
    paranoid_gid_check=false

lock down everything else you can and use at your own risks. I've used this on internal servers only.