The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing IP addresses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by McDot, Feb 14, 2012.

1. McDot

McDot Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I got my first cPanel installed on a new server last week, so I am a complete newbie to WHM/cPanel. I got through the first settings fine though, it's all pretty well documented and the first sites are up and runing.

Now I'm trying to understand how to distribute IP addresses. I have a few of them and would like to decide on the go what account gets what IP. The problem is, as soon as I set an IP for a customer it seems to be treated as dedicated. I cant use this IP for any other customer.

Any setting I'm missing?

2. uptemplates

uptemplates Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    i have question about that too...
    may be any someone can help me too about that problem :)

3. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If you would like to share IPs between accounts, you can

1. Set it as the main shared IP from WHM >> Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup >> "* The IP address (only one address) that will be used for setting up shared IP virtual hosts."

OR

2. Set it as a shared IP of any reseller from Main >> Resellers >> Manage reseller's main/shared IP >> "Select the reseller" >> "select the IP you want to share from the combo box".

Thank you,
    Nibin.

4. McDot

McDot Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, the option of doing this using resellers as IP holders is obvious. I just thought it should be possible to assign IPs to normal user accounts without dedicating the IP exclusively. I mean, there is no real technical reason for this limitation, is there?