The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing nameservers IPs

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by andrewm, Oct 29, 2003.

1. andrewm

andrewm Member

Hi,

is it possible for two different resellers to share the same nameserver IPs?

At the moment my server has only got 5 IP addresses, I'm waiting for 5 days now to get another block of IPs from Nocster and I've got two resellers that need accounts to be set up.

Two IPs are for the server itself, and two IPs have been assigned to my first reseller account.

So if reseller 1 has nameserver IPs of:

ns1.reseller1.com 1.2.3.4
    ns2.reseller1.com 1.2.3.5

is it possible to use those IPs to set up the new resellers (resellers 2 and 3), or do I have to wait for my new IPs to come through?

I hope that makes sense.

thanks

Andrew

2. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

This is how i do it and it works fine, 2 ips for the server , one functions as the shared ip for all accounts, 2nd server ip has no specific function, both the server ips also act as ns1 and ns2 nameservers , by ticking "allow shared nameservers" in WHM , then resellers can establish 2 alias nameservers , on those same 2 ips , all they have to do is create nameservers on these ips at there domain registrar. Then the reseller nameservers in effect use your nameservers by alias That way each reseller gets oneadditional ip to use if they want to set up 1 dedicated ip for SSL or something. Probally not the most secure situation but perfect for the IP starved .

3. andrewm

andrewm Member

Nice.

Thanks for that.