The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing of Name Server IPs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by suiso, Jul 12, 2004.

1. suiso

suiso Registered

Hello,

I am trying to create a new reseller with their own Private Name Servers. This is my first one. Under the Resellers Center in WHM I try to insert their NS and select Assign IP Address. WHM comes back with an error, "Sorry, you are out of ips to assign as nameservers".

Under Tweak Settings, Allow Sharing Nameserver IPs is selected so I am at a loss here.

I know the sharing of IPs with NS can be done.

My Config:
    IPs: 2 (configured successfully for my main name servers)
    WHM 9.4.0
    cPanel 9.4.1-S65

I have read where here you can get this working with a work-around, but is there no other way?

Any ideas?

TIA,

Ryan

2. iquest

iquest Active Member

sharing of IPs with NS

suppose your domain is: abc.com and the IPs are assigned for your nameserver as follows:

ns1.abc.com 11.11.11.11
    ns2.abc.com 11.11.11.12

and your reseller's domain is: xyz.com.

Now, you can create a new account for your reseller by clicking on "crate a new account" under "Accounts Functions" in WHM and ask your reseller to assign the following IPs for his nameservers through his domain registrar:

ns1.xyz.com 11.11.11.11
    ns2.xyz.com 11.11.11.12

The second step would be to edit the DNS Zone file by clicking "Edit a DNS Zone" under "DNS function" in WHM. The nameservers listed in this file will be your nameservers (i.e. - ns1.abc.com). Change all the nameserver entries in the file:

ns1.abc.com =>> ns1.xyz.com
    ns2.abc.com =>> ns2.xyz.com

Finally, add the following entries, where you see the line "Add New Entries Below this Line" and save it.

ns1 14400 IN A 11.11.11.11
    ns2 14400 IN A 11.11.11.12

By the way, you can add these entries directly through root access by editing the following file after you create the account for your reseller:

pico -w /var/named/xyz.com.db

I hope that this will help...

3. heymichelle

heymichelle Well-Known Member

when you mentioned: The second step would be to edit the DNS Zone file by clicking "Edit a DNS Zone" under "DNS function" in WHM. The nameservers listed in this file will be your nameservers (i.e. - ns1.abc.com). Change all the nameserver entries in the file:

Are you talking about all of it that has the old server name to be changed, because theres even the old nameserver near top?