The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shell Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by x86eon, Jun 10, 2006.

1. x86eon

x86eon Member

Even though a user is added to the wheel group in WHM, and jailshell for that user is off, I get the following error when trying to use su:
    Code:
    su: cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable
    Any ideas as to what is wrong? How do I fix this?

Another problem I am having is with who and w. When I run them they never show who is logged in, always reporting zero users. This is a clean install of CentOS and therefore I do not think it is a rootkit. Could this have something to do with the fact that my server is a VPS, and certian network options needs to be set?

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

This is genrally caused when a user reaches the maximum number of processes (ulimit). Have you adjusted this for any users or systemwide ?

If yes, you will have to contact your Hosting company to make the necessary on your VPS from the Hardware node.

#2 madaboutlinux, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  3. x86eon

x86eon Member

I checked Virtuozzo and the parameter that limits the number of processes you can have running is not set. Therefore I don't think that is the source of the problem.