The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shelling from admin to user accounts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spikyman, Aug 11, 2014.

1. spikyman

spikyman Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    For reasons I don't entirely understand, our hired gun set us up with WHM, a cpanel reseller account, and then set up our site on a user account thereunder. That's not a problem except for this:

I need to run a line command in that user account, but can't figure out how to get there from the reseller account via command line.

I also can't shell directly into it. All passwords fail. (all accounts are set to 'normal shell' in WHM).

ssh keys don't work in any account (via putty).

The java shell in cpanel only works for the reseller account. In the other account, it loads but the password box fails to appear, and it's frozen otherwise.

reseller and user have the same cpanel password.

Any suggestions for line commands or getting user shell working would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What error are you getting with the SSH access ? you will have to use correct SSH port of your server.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Do you have root access to this server? If so, try accessing SSH as "root" and from that point you can access SSH as the individual user with a command such as:

Code:
    su $username
    You may need to consult with your hosting provider if you are unable to access SSH as "root".

Thank you.