The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

short email domain problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Belzibut, May 9, 2010.

1. Belzibut

Belzibut Registered

Hi, I have setup a email on a new server using cpanel. Seems like I can't send emails to email address that the domain is short like aol dot com or even some with an hyphen like on-line dot ca. I have no problem receiving from those emails but when I send it doesn't work and when I look at the email log it gives a 505 error. Like today I couldn't email an email address that had maine.rr.com as the domain. The email was never received. Would anyone know anything about this?

I have a site on my server that when people register, they receive a confirmation email to validate their account but seems like most of them with an email with a short domain doesn't seem to get the confirmation email.

Again, I send emails from the short one to the one on the server no problem but not the other way around and that from the site and also outlook.

Those who dont receive the email can reply back, I didn't receive it but even if I reply, they don't receive mine.

Appreciate your help and value your time.

Regards,

David

2. Belzibut

Belzibut Registered

So far today all the ones that registered using aol.com and rr.com didn't get the activation email, everyone else did. Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

D.

3. thewebhostingdi

thewebhostingdi Well-Known Member

Kindly check the email logs for the exact error message. You can provide us the email logs here or if you are receiving any bounce back email then kindly paste it here. You can get the email logs from /var/log/exim_mainlog.

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Well both of those are known to make RBL checks against unreliable sources but they also perform SPF / rDNS checking as well.

This tells me that either your server is blacklisted somewhere or is improperly configured, namely:

1. You need an IP to hostname PTR record resolving your server's IP back to your server (usually done at the server provider level)

2. You need to have a valid SPF record in your DNS zone.

3. Usually not required but doesn't hurt to add DomainKeys or DKIM to your DNS zone as well.

If the recipient servers can't verify that your server is authorized to send mail for any given domain, a lot of services such as the ones you just mentioned will just toss your mail in the trash can undelivered.