Shortcut for extracting homedir.tar subdirectories

sebby

Jun 15, 2004
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi everyone,

Every other day I check the integrity of my account backups at random and uncompress the homedir and mysql directories on a local server at the office to rebuild the sites locally ("tar -xzvf username.tar.gz username/homedir/public_html username/mysql" use to give me the files I needed to do this).

Starting with WHM 11.24, the homedir is now archived (homedir.tar) and nested in the main tarball. Can anyone suggest a neat command line to extract at once the mysql and public_html directories in this new setup (without the need to uncompress all the rest)?

I thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Sebby

Running CentOS 5.2

JawadArshad

PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2008
PK
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi everyone,

Every other day I check the integrity of my account backups at random and uncompress the homedir and mysql directories on a local server at the office to rebuild the sites locally ("tar -xzvf username.tar.gz username/homedir/public_html username/mysql" use to give me the files I needed to do this).

Starting with WHM 11.24, the homedir is now archived (homedir.tar) and nested in the main tarball. Can anyone suggest a neat command line to extract at once the mysql and public_html directories in this new setup (without the need to uncompress all the rest)?

I thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Sebby

Running CentOS 5.2
You may try the following command to extract a specific file from your tar.gz file.

tar -z --extract --file=yourbackup.tar.gz yourbackup/path/to/folder

Assuming, you must know the hierarchy and paths of things in the backup before it was compressed.

sebby

Jun 15, 2004
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You may try the following command to extract a specific file from your tar.gz file.

tar -z --extract --file=yourbackup.tar.gz yourbackup/path/to/folder
Thanks Howard but this is a no go as I want to extract in a single step the public_html directory included in the homedir.tar archive that is nested in the main tarball (username.tar.gz). I am looking for a way to pipe those 2 operations somehow...

Cheers,

Sebby

jpgauvin

Registered
Apr 7, 2008
I just find out that I have the same problem :mad:

please if someone know the answer, let me know :confused:

thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Backups 4
Z Backups 6
M Backups 2