The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i get cpanel on my centos vps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whitelines2, Jan 12, 2011.

1. whitelines2

whitelines2 Registered

Jan 12, 2011
    I'm wanting to host a magento site, my vps is centos 5.5 with 512mb ram on xen. I have a few questions:

What version does cpanel install of apache, mysql and php? Is it old stable versions or newer versions? I'm interested in the vps optimized cpanel as i only have 512mb ram and magento needs alot of ram.

I've asked people in the centos irc chanel and they all seem to loath cpanel and say that it '*raps' all over the operating system. Is this true? I could just install lamp myself on centos but i'd rather have a control panel take care of that and mail etc. Please advise me,

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel contains EasyApache, which will build many different versions of Apache and PHP. Currently, EasyApache will build Apache 1.3, 2.0 or 2.2. It will also build PHP 4.4.6, 4.4.7, 4.4.8 and 4.4.9, and 5.2.9, 5.2.16, 5.3.3 and 5.3.4. It will also build many available PHP extensions into the version of PHP that you select.

On new installations, you can choose between MySQL 5.0 and 5.1. MySQL 4.0 and 4.1 are no longer available on new cPanel installations.

If you install cPanel on a VPS, the VPS Optimized version is what you will get. There is no separate "regular" and "VPS Optimized" cPanel installation for a VPS. Upon installation, the cPanel installer detects that it is running in a virtual environment, and installs cPanel VPS Optimized without prompting.

cPanel does make some modifications to services provided by the operating system and places files in various locations on the hard drive. There is no "uninstall" procedure for cPanel; if you ever decide that you do not want cPanel, you will need to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

If you install cPanel, you should install a bare minimum of the operating system. Do not install Apache or any mail or FTP services (in yum, these are the Web Server, FTP Server and Mail Server groups), or any other services except yum and SSH. The only things that the cPanel installer needs on a new server are yum and SSH. Installing services, such as Apache, beforehand will only cause complications.

Also, a graphical environment, such as X Window, Xorg, or X11, should not be installed on a server that is to have cPanel installed, and no other control panel, including Webmin, should be installed.