The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I have an A record for both nameserver IPs?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cronjob78, Apr 14, 2004.

1. cronjob78

cronjob78 Member

New to dedicated servers and WHM.

I'm having trouble with my nameservers. Sometimes I can see the websites on my server - other times I can't when people on other networks and geographical places can. I get a "host does not exist" type error for maybe an hour and then everything seems ok again.

the nameservers (ns1 and ns2.mydomain.com) also serve a website www.mydomain.com as well as two other domains. In the DNS zone entry for mydomain.com should I have an A-record for the second IP (for the secondary nameserver)? This is the only thing I can come up with.

Originally when my host set up the nameserver on the box they gave me the wrong IP for the secondary nameserver but I resubmited the new ones to the registrar of mydomain.com

Any theories on why the websites are on and off for some users including myself?

Thanks in advance.

2. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

You should define the A entries for

yourdomain.com.
    ns1.yourdomain.com.
    ns2.yourdomain.com.

Your SOA should list ns1.yourdomain.com.

And the nameservers of your domain (in the registrar) should be ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com

3. cronjob78

cronjob78 Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I only have an A entry for ns1.mydomain.com and for localhost.mydomain.com assigned to IP 127.0.0.1. - my host did this.

I'll try adding the third A record.

The odd thing is that in a browser for the primary IP I get the WHM ("No website configured at this address") but for the secondary IP I get mydomain.com ? What does this mean? What is the case for other people?

Also what A entries should the other domains on the server. They don't whave unique IPs?

#3 cronjob78, Apr 14, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  4. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

That just means that you have your domain in one IP address and no domains hosted on the other IP (you might have them in the future).

Fix your zone, and make sure it's correctly configured. I think it could be related to your DNS problem. Check it at dnsreport.com or something too.

5. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ns1.mydomain.com should resolve to an internet ip, not 127.0.0.1 which is a special address pointing to the local computer.

6. cronjob78

cronjob78 Member

ns1.mydomain.com should resolve to an internet ip, not 127.0.0.1 which is a special address pointing to the local computer.
    I have two seperate entries

one for ns1.mydomain.com which resolves to an internet IP
    one for localhost.mydomain.com which resolves to 127.0.0.1

How does one remove entries like that from the DNS zone in WHM?

7. cronjob78

cronjob78 Member

Sometimes my websites are up and other times I get "host does not exist" messages. It seems that DNS information in various DNS nameservers are correct for a
    while and then incorrect. Or maybe the primary one is listed properly but the secondary one is not.
    For each domain tested on dnsreport.com I get:

Warning: Your NS records at your authoritative DNS servers have TTLs that do not match what the parent servers report:
    TTL for NS record ns2.mydomain.com. is 172800 at parent versus 14400 at (second ip) .
    TTL for NS record ns1.mydomain.com. is 172800 at parent versus 14400 at (second ip).
    In some cases, this can cause some serious problems. For example, if the parent servers have a 172800 second TTL (48 hours), and your authoritative DNS servers report a TTL of 3600 seconds (1 hour), you are saying that the parent DNS servers do not have the correct information.
    But, after 1 hour your DNS records may time out. At that point a DNS resolver will need to get fresh NS records.
    This can cause a serious problem in some cases.

Where is the 172800 value coming from and how can I change it?

Here's what I have in my DNS zones:

DOMAIN, RECORD TYPE, ENTRY

TTL = 14400 in each case

;modified by Web Host manager
    ;Zone File for etc.

@ (blank) 14440 (???should this be 14400 like every other TTL entry??? In the main domain it is 14400 but in the two other DNS zones it is 14440)

SOA = mydomain.com ---- email.mydomain.com

refresh 7200
    retry 3600
    expire 432000
    minimum ttl 86400

-------------- nameserver and host domain---------

mydomain.com, NS, ns1.mydomain.com.
    mydomain.com, NS, ns2.mydomain.com.
    mydomain.com, A, (main ip)
    localhost.mydomain.com, A, 127.0.0.1
    mydomain.com, MX, 0 ----- mydomain.com
    mail, CNAME, mydomain.com
    www, CNAME, mydomain.com
    ftp, CNAME, mydomain.com
    host, A, (main ip) ......(note my machine is called host.mydomain.com)
    mydomain.com, A, (second IP)

-------- other DNS zone -------------

TTL = 14400 in each case

reseller.ie, NS, ns1.mydomain.com
    reseller.ie, NS, ns2.mydomain.com
    reseller.ie, A, (main ip)
    localhost.reseller.ie, A, 127.0.0.1
    reseller.ie, MX, 0 ----- reseller.ie
    mail, CNAME, reseller..ie
    www, CNAME, reseller.ie
    ftp,CNAME, reseller.ie
    reseller.ie, A, (second ip)

---------3rd DNS zone --------------

other.com, NS, ns1.mydomain.com
    other.com, NS, ns2.mydomain.com
    other.com, A, (main ip)
    localhost.other.com, A, 127.0.0.1
    other.com, MX, 0 , other.com
    mail, CNAME, other.com
    www, CNAME,other.com
    ftp, CNAME, other.com
    other.com, A, second ip

-------------------------------------------------

Checking the the A record on DNSstuff.com I get two A records for mydomain.com but only one each for reseller.ie and other.com.
    I've tried this a lot and occasionally I get told that the nameservers have timed out.
    Yesterday reseller.ie was available for a while but only as http://reseller.ie and not http://www.reseller.ie.
    Other.com wasn't available at all. I stress that come users (including myself) seem to be able to see all sites all of the time which makes this very frustrating.
    Any help gratefully received.

#7 cronjob78, Apr 15, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2004