Should I move to maria DB ?

Sujoy Dhar

Jul 24, 2016
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I have seen that many peoples are mentioning that Marian DB is better than MSQL so should I move to Maria DB ?

Does Wordpress supports it ?

Also if new user from other server want to come to my new server with msql database then what I can do to make it maria db ?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Yes, it's possible to import a MySQL database dump into MariaDB. MariaDB is referred to as a "Drop-In-Replacement" for MySQL. I've seen very few reports of error messages or website compatibility problems from users who have upgraded to MariaDB from MySQL. That said, it's important to read our documentation when switching to MariaDB, as there are some caveats (e.g. you can't switch back to MySQL after upgrading to MariaDB):

MySQL or MariaDB Upgrade

There's also some additional information you may find helpful at:

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/

Thank you.

twhiting9275

Sep 26, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Should you migrate to MariaDB? That's a question only you can answer. However, for the most part, I have yet to see a reason why not to migrate. It just works better, from my own experience.

What about the new client who are coming from other server with msql ?
Won't notice a thing (assuming you meant MySQL). MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL, meaning if it works with MySQL, it'll work with MariaDB.

24x7ss

Sep 30, 2014
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Yes, your new clients will not face any issue if they are coming with MySQL. MariaDB is much better than MySQL. You will definitely see the difference in performance of site.